Doff and don vintage rig

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain,

When I learned to do this (Summer 1986), we wore a plastic backpack and NO crotch strap and NO chest strap, and a snorkel and weight belt. (The diver in this video probably needs a weight belt with probably at least a couple of lbs). Each of our two shoulder straps was 2" throughout and had a pair of D-rings, and each was threaded into a "quick release" (like this diver does with his chest strap).

Like this diver, we didn't wear a wet suit during our pool training.

We had to do a complete doff--of everything, including mask and fins and weightbelt--followed by a complete don. It was critical that straps (mask straps, harness straps) and weight belt weren't twisted and weights weren't trapped between the divers back and his/her tank.

If I had been TA-ing this diver, I probably would have flipped his lip a couple of times, our signal that he should be bubbling a bit more when he didn't have his regulator in his mouth.

Fun stuff.

Probably some people on SB will object to this video because this diver settles on the bottom.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

If this diver needed a couple of weights, then why is he on the bottom? His buoyancy is very close to neutral. As per his releasing air upon ascent, again, on what basis do you say he needs to exhaust more? You assumed he took a full lung on his last inhale? Knowing this diver, he is aware of over-expansion and has done this exercise often. Finally, this video is but one of a series showing the basic method many of us use in doffing and donning the tank with basic harness and double hose regulator. This was the method we used in the late 1950s and early 1960s before the "invention" of the backpack, and other associated "advancements". Many of us who dive vintage, remain true to the time period that we prefer. Future videos will show complete gear doffing and donning. Finally, this diver was very aware of his "green" status by choosing a spot on the pool bottom that was void of life so that he did not damage any aquatics. No animals were hunt in this video.:D

If this diver needed a couple of weights, then why is he on the bottom? His buoyancy is very close to neutral.

I was anticipating that when his cylinder became a bit emptier, he would be a bit too positive. (A steel 72 + DH eventually will be slightly positive in fresh water.) From the video, it appears to me that his cylinder is already nearly positive.

The best part of this video is the awesome cotton harness made by A and D Adventures. I for one am very greatful that A and D makes these available to us dangerous poppy lungmeister pool animal killing vintage divers. The workmanship and the time and care to detail in every one made to order could never be replicated by anyone else for the low prices charged. I am sure some internet commando will disagree and claim they too are dangerous.

Captain,

When I learned to do this (Summer 1986), we wore a plastic backpack and NO crotch strap and NO chest strap, and a snorkel and weight belt. (The diver in this video probably needs a weight belt with probably at least a couple of lbs). Each of our two shoulder straps was 2" throughout and had a pair of D-rings, and each was threaded into a "quick release" (like this diver does with his chest strap).

Like this diver, we didn't wear a wet suit during our pool training.

We had to do a complete doff--of everything, including mask and fins and weightbelt--followed by a complete don. It was critical that straps (mask straps, harness straps) and weight belt weren't twisted and weights weren't trapped between the divers back and his/her tank.

If I had been TA-ing this diver, I probably would have flipped his lip a couple of times, our signal that he should be bubbling a bit more when he didn't have his regulator in his mouth.

Fun stuff.

Probably some people on SB will object to this video because this diver settles on the bottom.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Look at the video again. He is releasing plenty of air as he leaves the bottom and on his accent. While we all teach that you should release a constant stream of bubbles when your reg is out, the reality is there is absolutely no need when holding depth or decendiing, nor is there a need to constantly release air, just enough from time to time to get the job done. This is one of those things that we teach in a particular way just because it's easier than teaching what is really necessary. In addition, diving sans BC as he is, I am positive he does not have full lungs, otherwise there is no way he could stay on the bottom. As Allan said, he is practiced and skilled at this type of diving, he happens to be a friend of mine as well.
As for the spot being devoid of life....I am not too sure some of our pools would qualify. :)

Nice job Allan and Rob, I look forward to the next video.

Allan and Rob,

Great video. The only difference between what I saw on the video and what I did about two weeks ago was that I turned off the air. If you turn off the are, exhale and then try to inhale, there is not much breath in your lungs. So a few bubbles until expansion lets you exhale more is appropriate. I explained this in a blog recently in relation to a different question on a different thread.

I also like the older, vintage harnesses, and have them on my doubles. Mine are original, but I hope to upgrade to the new cotton harnesses sometime this year.

SeaRat

Last edited:
I was anticipating that when his cylinder became a bit emptier, he would be a bit too positive. (A steel 72 + DH eventually will be slightly positive in fresh water.) From the video, it appears to me that his cylinder is already nearly positive.

"A steel 72 will be slightly positive in fresh water." You might want to rethink that.

I guess I break a lot of rules.

N

"A steel 72 will be slightly positive in fresh water." You might want to rethink that.

I'm not sure what you mean. I wrote: "A steel 72 + DH eventually will be slightly positive in fresh water." I meant exactly what I wrote. The 72's we used then were the "newer" chromoly type (rather than the "older" carbon steel type, if this makes a difference). Several of our required pool skills were "circuits" which involved having a diver sit for a while on the bottom of the shallow part of the pool, breathing off of a steel 72 + DH which he/she held onto (i.e., didn't wear) until he handed off the cylinder to an arriving diver. These were very long-duration skills, typically 45 minutes or longer, involving multiple divers. We TA's would switch in a fresh 72 + DH when the one the diver was breathing off of began "floating", bottom-up on the surface. This was our signal that the cylinder had less than approximately 200 psig remaining in it.

Safe Diving,

rx7diver

Back
Top Bottom