Doing Tech+Cave on a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjack321:
Actually I read about your conversion a few weeks ago. Didn't put 2 and 2 together until now though. Thanks for filling in all the deficiencies on He mixes in a 'simple' draeger.

As far as constant Fo2 (0 to 160ft or so), well shoot I know how to dive that way already, in my head, no gizmos.

Going completely head over heals to the opposite end of the spectrum to "best mix" at every depth (beyond best mix @ max depth), is probably more than I want to chew on all at once.

I appreciate all the suggestions and pluses/minuses expressed in the past few pages. I may just try out a Meg for a day :D

constant PO2 is a simple way to dive, the display on every CCR is calibrated to read in PO2, its like the speedometer in a motor vehicle, just keep the dial on 1.2 for the length of the dive and you just shaved off bunches of your deco and gained BT. an example, My GF and I did a dive in mexico on a wreck at 80 feet during her meg course, we stayed for 2 full hours at that depth, watching critters including a flock of spotted eagle rays that circled overhead for 15 minutes, swooping low enough to reach up and touch their undersides. Accumulated deco....10 minutes at 15fsw. As part of the exercise she began an OC bailout on the deco line, when she switched her VR3 over to air on OC, the deco jumped to 36 minutes.

read the po2 math article, it clears a lot of the confusion up and If you want to try out a meg, drop me a pm and we can set it up. I have a full sized apecs meg and I can bring along a mini COPIS meg.

Originally Posted by webhead
Not w/ other units that are available without costing $8000.
I see them advertised here "regularly", used, at about 3200$ which is what makes them interesting...I thought u could get a ccr for 8000$?

The conversion of the dolphin to He was explained to me as "just drilling a hole and adding a valve" by the guy who did it to his unit...

The biggest issue the instructor I asked about it had to do with the scrubber not being designed for it (but he was in "dont do it"-mode and didnt really elaborate)

grazie42:
I see them advertised here "regularly", used, at about 3200$ which is what makes them interesting...I thought u could get a ccr for 8000$?

You can get CCRs for anywhere from $2000 to $20,000US. If you can spend up to $10K on one, I'd recommend a eCCR designed for trimix. Several good units in the $5000 to $9000 range.

If you are talking about Dolphins for $3200, I'm not sure. If you're talking KISS for $3200, go get one. That's a deal. But here's something to think about. Before you get a Dolphin and adapt it to trimix/deep diving, you really, really, REALLY should get trained on a CCR that can do trimix. Otherwise it would be like modifying a bicycle for GP motorcycle racing after getting your learners permit for a car. :D

grazie42:
The conversion of the dolphin to He was explained to me as "just drilling a hole and adding a valve" by the guy who did it to his unit...

The biggest issue the instructor I asked about it had to do with the scrubber not being designed for it (but he was in "dont do it"-mode and didnt really elaborate)

:11: Not sure that is all you'd want to do. That sounds to me like the difference between what works and what works safely. Ron has done a mod to a Dolphin and while I can't explain in detail what he's done, he has done it. If I'm not mistaken, the 1st thing was to convert from SCR to CCR mode. The components are there - breathing hose, CL, scrubber, ADV/MAV and over pressure valve. But being a cras test dummy in a pool is different that one in 300 ft of ocean.

Interesting part of this thread is that I think it shows that RBs are too expensive and if someone came out w/ a full CCR for trimix or under $4000, they'd have more than a few customers.

divermatt:
internet quarry commandos!

:rofl3: :rofl3: :popcorn:

New guy alert.... please identify yourself..... :wink:

1) :bash:
2) :1poke:
3) :hideing_b
4) :sprite10:
5) :laser:
6) :fishslap:
7) :1book:

webhead:
Interesting part of this thread is that I think it shows that RBs are too expensive and if someone came out w/ a full CCR for trimix or under $4000, they'd have more than a few customers.

Consider the price of a MCCR, ECCR as a part of the vetting process. In this niche of the sport you do need to pay in order to play. I would say that technical diving on OC isn't much better considering the cost of helium these days.
Dave Sutton had a comical take on fictitious offshore unit a number of years ago on April Fool's Day.

Additionally, there were a few SCR Atlantis units modified to use trimix - late 90's.
Worked fine from what I could tell.

X

I just started reading mastering rebreathers. about to take the plunge and buy a rebreather, MCCR. If anyone is looking for any tech gear you know like doubles, regs, deco bottles, stage bottles pm me, and i'll see what i can do for you. I'll start selling off gear around the first of the year.

have to go sign up on RBW, and start learning.

peace out

Fort Collins Bob:
Great Stuff Guys !!! :popcorn:

-------------------------------

Yeh, really. This is the most action this subforum has had in years. LOL

CCRDolphinDiver:
constant PO2 is a simple way to dive, the display on every CCR is calibrated to read in PO2, its like the speedometer in a motor vehicle, just keep the dial on 1.2 for the length of the dive and you just shaved off bunches of your deco and gained BT. an example, My GF and I did a dive in mexico on a wreck at 80 feet during her meg course, we stayed for 2 full hours at that depth, watching critters including a flock of spotted eagle rays that circled overhead for 15 minutes, swooping low enough to reach up and touch their undersides. Accumulated deco....10 minutes at 15fsw. As part of the exercise she began an OC bailout on the deco line, when she switched her VR3 over to air on OC, the deco jumped to 36 minutes.

read the po2 math article, it clears a lot of the confusion up and If you want to try out a meg, drop me a pm and we can set it up. I have a full sized apecs meg and I can bring along a mini COPIS meg.

I will read that article asap. But I think we have different definitions of "simple".

For the same 2 hours of BT...

Mine would be 2 lp95s of 32%, a timex watch and a bourdon tube gauge. If you want to get fancy, add an SPG :D

Oh yeah there would be a 2 hour SI in the middle there for a snack :wink:

duckster3d:
I just started reading mastering rebreathers. about to take the plunge and buy a rebreather, MCCR. If anyone is looking for any tech gear you know like doubles, regs, deco bottles, stage bottles pm me, and i'll see what i can do for you. I'll start selling off gear around the first of the year.

have to go sign up on RBW, and start learning.

peace out

Which MCCR? Kiss Classic, Sport or Pelagian? Personally, I've kept all my doubles, and OC gear. I use them to bank gases, and when you don't feel like bothering with the RB the doubles are so handy. :D If it's a KISS Classic , best to have hands like ET. Gotta squeeze in those tight areas.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom