Doing Tech+Cave on a RB?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mr.X:
Hey Caveseeker (Stefan),

Was this ANDI US? Were the hot rod mods. on an Atlantis unit? I remember a non-standard orifice being used to run a stream of trimix or an "adapted" standard orifice.

If anything, liability purposes downed the project. In the end, these hot rods were a stop gap between more capable and rarer units. The dominant exploration CCR at this time was the Cis and the Mk's. The Insp. had been out just a year and got off to a shaky start, the Prism was on a 6 month to one year wait. The AURA units were ??? The very cruddy Biomarine unit was also out too. 1998-99.

If anything, in a period less than a decade the state of the art has dramatically improved, and with new offerings here and there it'll be interesting to see how this niche market grows.

Again, for the majority of NDL divers I would say stay on OC. It isn't worth the added expense, or hassle. Sure, they're fascinating and all. When they work, they work very well. The benefits far outweighing OC constraints. IMO it's really is a tool for specialized applications - like trying to get a weightbelt and having almost unlimited time to do it (salvage), deep penetration, critter encounter etc.

The instructors/ITs involved were all in germany.. AFAIK at least one of the ITs worked for drager.. ANDI has tried several things in germany that we couldn't try in other places.. since about 2000 (maybe a bit before that) we had a OW diver program that was done on a Dolphin.. The person wlaked away with a Dolphin, OW and CSU ( nitrox) certification...

CCRDolphinDiver:
surface interval? we don need no stinking surface interval...

cute story, was on a boat in BC, divers choice, just came back from a hour or so dive down to 140ish on the Cape breton, sitting in the settee sipping soup and a numpty chick gets back on the boat whining that she lost her weight belt and the shop owner she rented it from was going to charge her $150 for replacement and would any of yalll kind divers go get it for her. "I'll pay you $75 if you can find it and bring it back" My buddy Scott and I looked at each other for about .5 seconds and went "OK!" we had been out of the water about 10 minutes and strapped on the trusty CCR's and splashed again to the keel of the boat at 140, (judging from the wind, and where we were tied up, we figured the belt missed the boat and landed in the sand behind it )spent another 20 min on the bottom looking around the fantail of the ship. finally gave up and headed back up to the line, when i saw the belt hanging half on, half off the flight operations deck, bagged it, swam it over to the line and started up, 7 min of deco on the clock, hardly worth waiting for... There REALLY is an advantage to CCR and constant PO2 diving. I wonder if some really smart deco professor could do a spreadsheet on depth's, time and constant PO2 vs Fo2 diving.

never got the 75, the beach renigged on the deal, but did give me a smooch on the cheek, hardly worth the effort, but I did get 3 dives that day instead of 2. hehehe

Interestingly enough, this story points to the old adage " no good deed goes unpunished". I would not put more time onto my O2 clock for someone who obviously hasn't made the investment (training and equipment) to dive properly on a 140' wreck + reneges on a soft deal. Heck, at the very least you should have been offered a six pack, or a promise for a hot sandwich. :D

X

padiscubapro:
The instructors/ITs involved were all in germany.. AFAIK at least one of the ITs worked for drager.. ANDI has tried several things in germany that we couldn't try in other places.. since about 2000 (maybe a bit before that) we had a OW diver program that was done on a Dolphin.. The person wlaked away with a Dolphin, OW and CSU ( nitrox) certification...

Very interesting historical data from you and Stefan. Did ANDI, or Drager track the SCR OW/CSU trainees to see where they went? Did they move into CCR, keep diving the unit or fade away as so many new divers do?

X

Mr.X:
Very interesting historical data from you and Stefan. Did ANDI, or Drager track the SCR OW/CSU trainees to see where they went? Did they move into CCR, keep diving the unit or fade away as so many new divers do?

Seems like this would be an expensive way to try diving. People moan about how courses just keep getting shorter and shorter because OW students find the shortest and cheapest way. The OW RB route seems like it would be even harder to get many students.

rjack321:
So recognizing that the OP's limits for cave (anyone's for that matter) would be limited by the amount of bailout carried, would you still recommend skipping cave on OC?

Not sure I understand what you are asking.... or who you're asking...guess the whole audience.

Sounds like you're asking that since time spent in a cave on a RB is limited to the bailout carried, would someone recommend doing OC cave? :huh:

webhead:
Not sure I understand what you are asking.... or who you're asking...guess the whole audience.

Sounds like you're asking that since time spent in a cave on a RB is limited to the bailout carried, would someone recommend doing OC cave? :huh:

Ummm, I forgot which post made me think of this....

I guess what do people feel the benefits of skipping OC cave are? No doubles to buy and shlep around? Lower gas costs? Learning their one true way and not having too many different skills/ways to accomplish a dive all muddled together?

If you decide to go this route are you limited to particular agencies? Obviously GUE is out, but do any others require OC cave first?

These are all more practical, get it done kinda questions.

Vs. is it better or worse to do cave on a RB vs. OC? I don't think that question needs more discussion at this time :wink:

Other than comfort (less heavy gear i.e. doubles and large hangs tanks) and cost (save on He fills) the key benefit I see is a much increased gas supply. With a CCR, I can stay underwater for 4 hours regardless of depth. Now trying to get that same duration on OC would require some serious tanks especially if deep and/or high RMV. In a cave that I plan to be in for 2 hours, that's huge to me for safety. The no bubbles, I've been told, is a good thing to reduce the silting from bubbles hitting the ceiling. And if you are going to be a RB diver in general, always good to get as much training on your everyday dive setup.

I can't cut and paste from this...
http://www.cedricverdier.com/CaveRebreather.pdf

Some equipment needs are discussed:
HUD
BOV
off-board gas supply

The relevant conclusion is that one should be a very experienced CCR diver before taking one in a cave. Or a very experienced OC cave diver can then transition to CCR.
Regardless, putting the 2 together is its own learning curve unto itself.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom