Dolime Quarry - Private Guelph Shore Dive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

treasurechaser

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
A little research shows that the area is private, fenced, gated and potentially patrolled by some loose cannon with a pedal bike and a killer k9 attack dog. Read about his twitter exploiits here Dolime Security (@dolimesecurity) | Twitter and his new account here Dolime Security (@Dolime_Security) | Twitter

People do 45' cliff jumping here, I am told.

Anyone dive this or know a contact to use the quarry with permission? Looks like it would be a great dive spot. Located in between Cambridge & Guelph.

dolime quarry gmap sat.jpg
dolime quarry gmap.jpg
Dolime Quarry photo.jpg

LOL doing a little more research I found this photo I think by the K9 Crusader. This is only baiting me on to trespass. DEEP WATER?!?!

no trespassing deep water dolime quarry.jpg

There's a lot of those quarries in these parts. In my brief commercial career 100 years ago, I dove a number of them to retrieve busted pumps and the like. I pass a number of them every week running back and forth between Freelton and Guelph on various backroads and they look tempting. It's kind of a cool business model, these quarries. Once the operators have taken all the stone they can, they let the whole fill up with water and then sell expensive building lots around them.

Given that there is a security guard at that one you mention, it would seem the owners aren't eager to have visitors. It should be easy to track down the owners through the City, but my guess is that they aren't likely to say "Come on in..." due to potential liability etc.

There is no access for diving.
There was a time when diving was permitted by the owner on a permission basis but those days are gone.
There is some machinery in the one nearest the river. an old crane and stone crushing gear.
The one farthest from the river is the one with the high walls. Unless you climb really well the only area to exit it is the old roadway at the south east corner. This is the deeper of the 2 topping out at about 90ft.

Rumor has it there are active permits for this area and that they may be doing something in the vicinity in the future.

If you want to work on getting permission you can try contacting the office in Guelph but try not to get your hopes up as I expect you will get the same answer as we have received in the past. (No access to the quarries.)

If you do get access let me know as I will dive it with you..

The site now allows diving through Groundhog Divers Kitchener. You have to contact Groundhog to purchase a day pass ($10) and then arrive in time for a single prearranged gate opening time. You can sign up with Groundhog for email notifications regarding dive dates and times.

Back
Top Bottom