DOLPHIN KILLINGS IN DENMARK ..lets put a stop to this

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Granted...what's happening in Denmark with the slaughter of dolphins and pilot whales is tragic. However, I have another post in this Marine Life and EcoSystems Section about the Vaquita Porpoise becoming extinct...and no one is interested. Porpoises are in the same cetacean family as whales, and dolphins. But this species of porpoise: the Vaquita is down to 150 individuals left. In two years they think it will be completely gone...like the Chinese River Dolphin: "The Baija" The dolphins, and pilot whales off Japan and Denmark haven't been wiped out yet inspite of the killings going on. But if you guys claim to want to protect marinelife like whales, and dolphins...its hypocritical to not want to save the Vaquita porpoise.

Lock Washer

Can someone post some more information? Do they let outsiders participate, I feel the hankering to come of age again.

Granted...what's happening in Denmark with the slaughter of dolphins and pilot whales is tragic.

Just for clarification; the pilot whale *is* a dolphin. Which is part of the issue with controlling it. The Whaling Commission can/will not step in since the pilot whale is not really a whale.

Cheeky; you'll have to find another outlet for whatever you're seeking. No outsider participation. It's a strict Master/Apprentice system. How about jumping from a speeding car - would that help you ...? :wink:

Henrik

Just for clarification; the pilot whale *is* a dolphin. Which is part of the issue with controlling it. The Whaling Commission can/will not step in since the pilot whale is not really a whale.

Henrik

I know that pilot whales are members of the dolphin family. They belong to a group they use to call the "Blackfish". Which includes these members:

Killer Whale (Orca), Orcinus orca
Long-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala melas
Short-finned Pilot Whale, Globicephala macrorhynchus
False Killer Whale, Pseudorca crassidens
Pygmy Killer Whale, Feresa attenuata
Melon-headed Whale, Peponocephala electra

However...there seems to be still no interest in saving the Vaquita Porpoise.

Lock Washer

I heard that dolphin meat is high in protein and very tasty, just like tuna?

If they are caught as part of over-fishing, then we might as well eat them together with the tuna as well.

Waste not, want not.

The Danes have their cultural rituals like any other nation.

Eskimo hunt seals. Not a pretty sight, either.

Bushmen hunt kangaroos.

Masai hunt wildabeasts.

What gives one nation the right to tell another what to do?

Mmmm.....where to begin. I know, how about the ludicrous final question that you pose. Nations actually have the right to deliberately undermine a cultural practice if, for instance, that practice involves the slow, brutal killing of highly intelligent animals such as dolphins. Playing the "cultural ritual" card is not an especially convincing argument. Would you also be the first to defend heinous acts of torture against humans if a nation disguised this as a sacred "cultural ritual"? Thought not. Watch "The Cove", educate yourself a little bit about these issues and spare other people from having to read such nonsense in the future.

I know that pilot whales are members of the dolphin family. They belong to a group they use to call the "Blackfish". Which includes these members:

However...there seems to be still no interest in saving the Vaquita Porpoise.

Lock Washer

So, what are you doing about it?

X

Right on Lock Washer!

Please note - During my Greenpeace days money, volunteering time/effort and public education were the best tools an individual could give. On a grander scale publicity to make folks aware helps...though this type of PR has to be very measured*.

The recent collaboration between Sea Shepherds and Animal Planet being an excellent way to spread the word.

Cheers,

X

* stupid stuff really set Greenpeace back

I sent some money into this organization:

CEDO - Intercultural Center for the Study of Deserts and Oceans

Also spreading the word about these organizations working to save the vaquita porpoise:

Vaquitamarina.org
Whale Trackers

Plus discussing the plight of the vaquita in any forums about cetaceans: whales, dolphins, porpoises.

Lock Washer

Old threads seem to be in these days. In any case it just shows not the manhood but the cowardice of these so called people. Why are they not taking on Saltwater crocs, great whites, or orca with a hand saw. Cause they are truly cowards. If they had shown as much "bravery" against Hitler the war in Europe would have been over much sooner. Pussies.

1 :Nothing to see with cowardice and bravery.
2 : Hitler and the german army never went to Faroe Island.
3 : The great white shark is endengered, don't push them, those tough guys could choose to fish them also.
4 : think before to post.

Old threads seem to be in these days. In any case it just shows not the manhood but the cowardice of these so called people. Why are they not taking on Saltwater crocs, great whites, or orca with a hand saw. Cause they are truly cowards. If they had shown as much "bravery" against Hitler the war in Europe would have been over much sooner. Pussies.

Bizarre and inflammatory comment.

X

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom