Dolphins in Pompano May 5 2014

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sportxlh

Contributor
Reaction score
formerly Palm Beach Gardens, FL: now Atlanta
# of dives
500 - 999
Well, it only took 510 dives, but I've finally seen dolphins underwater while diving. I've had two near misses in WPB and Jupiter, when other divers saw dolphins but I didn't. Today, five of us on South Florida Dive HQ's boat were lucky enough to see four dolphins swimming together (schooling?) near Abbey 2 reef. What a fantastic experience, too bad it only lasted a few seconds. Below are a couple of very very low quality GoPro screen shots: but they give a feel for what we saw.

The second reef line in Pompano is just beautiful. While I dive in Jupiter most of the time, I try to get to Pompano a few times each year. This area shouldn't be missed for anyone who loves relaxing dives at moderate depths on pristine reefs teaming with tropical fish. We also saw several nurse sharks and turtles.

What a great day of diving.

dolphins_on_turtle_ledge_reef_IV_s_fl_dive_hq_may_3_2014.jpg

dolphins_on_turtle_ledge_reef_III_s_fl_dive_hq_may_3_2014.jpg

hawksbill_turtle_and_angels_on_abbey_2_reef_s_fl_dive_hq_may_3_2014.jpg

hawksbill_turtle_on_abbey_2_reef_s_fl_dive_hq_may_3_2014.jpg

Did you get a look as to whether those were spotted or bottlenose dolphins? I had a hell of a close encounter with spotted dolphins while returning to Lake Worth Inlet back in 2012, but bottlenose dolphins continue to elude me underwater. I've gotten close while kayaking off the Outer Banks in NC, at the price of certifying that my cardiovascular system is up to snuff :coolingoff:

Halcyon: they were bottlenose dolphins, and they were fast!

Nice. The spotted dolphins I ran into were definitely quick, but they had no problem hanging around us. The bottlenose dolphins I ran into in NC on the other hand had me cranking away on the paddle, probably muttering some kind of bastardized tribal chant (or maybe the refrain from Jimmy Buffet's "The Natives Are Restless") with what little breath I had left. I needed a stiff margarita to get my heart rate back down to normal.

IMG_3885a.jpg

IMG_2616.jpg

that is so cool...it took me more dives but i have seen bottle nose dolphins in the same area a few months ago....bucket list checked for sure....BTW..great photos.

Last edited:
Awesome man! I've done about 500 dives as well and yet to see dolphins. You didn't miss much in Jupiter on Saturday, good viz but no sunlight

Congrats, man. Dolphins are one of the ultimate rushes. I was lucky enough to see them on my shark trip to the Bahamas and for me it was even the most thrilling part of the trip.

Halycyon: nice pix. I wish the 4 we saw had wanted to hang around: they just moved down the reef line quickly.

Iamrushman: definately clicked off on one bucket list item: but I'd love to see them again! The captain, who was north of my buddy and I at the time, saw the dolphins on the surface and then saw them submerge as they got closer to a couple of the dive floats. He had wondered if they had descended to investigate the divers. One of the dolphins appeared to be young and was playfully spinning/twisting as it moved south with the other 3.

Murfdizzle: You posted a picture a few weeks ago of you holding a cobia: you're a pretty young guy.... if you keep diving with the frequency you have so far, by the time you get to my age, you'll have 5,000 dives!!!

Guy: it is a rush. In the first screen shot, you can see my dive buddy's hand: she was spreading her arms wide essentially saying 'I can't believe this: how awesome".

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom