Dome Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LI Diver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a pen e-pl2 with the stock 14-42 mm lens in a oly pt-ep03 housing. I acquired a dome port for the housing. If I install the dome port without changing lenses what if any difference would there be in the images taken? Thanks

I don't know the specifics of that camera, lens or port, but I do know that the port and lens need to be matched... the port needs to be set at the correct distance from the lens surface etc. You might contact the dome manufacturer to see what they can tell... Or you can just try it!

That lens, if my guess about the sensor size is correct, isn't really a wide angle lens except at the shortest focal length, so who knows... :)

I just bought the Zen Dome Port WA100. Supposed to be able to use the 9-18, 14-42 and 60mm macro all behind this port.

I just bought the Zen Dome Port WA100. Supposed to be able to use the 9-18, 14-42 and 60mm macro all behind this port.

I have all the above lenses. I may be wrong but I believe the dome port and the 60mm combo does not work that well(pix quality)

I have a pen e-pl2 with the stock 14-42 mm lens in a oly pt-ep03 housing. I acquired a dome port for the housing. If I install the dome port without changing lenses what if any difference would there be in the images taken? Thanks

I assume you bought the zen wa-100, as it's almost the only dome offered for that house. I could use one two, but it is so awfully expensive..

You should get a wider angle at 12mm - like the angle you get in air, with less geometric (and chromatic?) distortion. But the effect will be more dramatic the more wide-angled lens you use.

The more tele you go, the less it will mean - and as it is easier to make a perfectly flat flat-port, than a perfectly round dome, it can be a disadvantage when doing macro/more tele.

Hi,

I am not familiar with your camera or housing, but I am familiar with a variety of dome ports. The way they work--in contrast to flat ports--is by creating a virtual image because they are, in effect, lenses. These virtual images are frequently too close to the camera for its lens to focus. Since most "normal" lenses will not focus that close, the image will be out-of-focus. This is normally solved by using a "diopter" fitted on the lens like a filter: this allows for close focus. Usually, the manufacturer will make recommendations for what port to use with what lens (+ diopter, if needed).

It would appear that your dome port is designed for the Panasonic 8mm Fisheye Lens and does not need a diopter because the fisheye can already close-focus.

Since you already have the gear, you can just give it a try. It will be interesting to know if it works. If it does not, either the flat port is in your future or the fisheye lens is.

joewr

Last edited:
Actually I believe ZEN makes 2 ports for this housing, the WA-100 as listed above and also one for the 7- ?mm Panasonic lens, but it sells for about $800.
I am going to try the 60mm behind the ZEN WA-100, worst case, I will switch back to the flat port if needed.

Actually I believe ZEN makes 2 ports for this housing, the WA-100 as listed above and also one for the 7- ?mm Panasonic lens, but it sells for about $800.
I am going to try the 60mm behind the ZEN WA-100, worst case, I will switch back to the flat port if needed.

When you do post some pix

I have the ZEN WA-100 on the olympus pt-ep03 for the epl2.
It's a great setup. You can use 3 different lens behind that same port and they all work great. I use the 9-18, the kit 14-42 and the 60mm. Now that I have the 60mm, I rarely used the 14-42 any more. The 60mm works great behind the dome. Obviously, the 9-18 works well as that's the lens it was designed for.
This is really a great setup for any of the olympus PEN housings. You can go from fairly wide (100 degree angle of view at 9mm) to macro without changing the port. Image quality is excellent.

I have the ZEN WA-100 on the olympus pt-ep03 for the epl2.
It's a great setup. You can use 3 different lens behind that same port and they all work great. I use the 9-18, the kit 14-42 and the 60mm. Now that I have the 60mm, I rarely used the 14-42 any more. The 60mm works great behind the dome. Obviously, the 9-18 works well as that's the lens it was designed for.
This is really a great setup for any of the olympus PEN housings. You can go from fairly wide (100 degree angle of view at 9mm) to macro without changing the port. Image quality is excellent.

That's interesting. You do like the dome and 60mm? I will try that the next time the wind stops blowing!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom