Dome Port

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am about to buy the Zen dome for the 9-18mm but just wanted to check if any modification is required to the Oly housing (for E-PL5) in order t fit the dome. I think I saw somewhere that a modification was required in order to fit the dome for the fisheye lens so was wondering if this is required for the 9-18 dome?

I am about to buy the Zen dome for the 9-18mm but just wanted to check if any modification is required to the Oly housing (for E-PL5) in order t fit the dome. I think I saw somewhere that a modification was required in order to fit the dome for the fisheye lens so was wondering if this is required for the 9-18 dome?

No the dome for the 9-18mm requires no modification to the PT-EPxx housing.

Its the 8mm Fisheye port, that requires the housing to be slightly modified to fit (you need to skim off a bit of the LED light button protector)

Thank you Trickster. I am glad to know I won't have to modify the housing as I am always wary of doing such things. I am not much of a handyman.

No modification required for the EPL-5 housing PT-EP10. Just remove the small locking plate and screw inside the housing. Twist and remove the flat port and twist on the new Zen dome.This is very clear in the instruction sheet provided with the Zen dome. A pipe strap wrench ( Home Depot has them $8.00) is very helpful.

A pipe strap wrench ( Home Depot has them $8.00) is very helpful.

Is the original PT-EP10 port REALLY that hard to remove? I did read somewhere that it was quite a task (I've been reluctant to try & remove mine for fear of snapping/breaking something!

Is it only difficult from first instance of removal, or always difficult even after multiple connection/disconnections?

It's only difficult to remove the Oly port on first removal after that it is fairly smooth to remove on multiple times. The strap wrench makes it so much easier for one person. However you can use two people to accomplish the first removal with one person holding the housing and one twisting the port. The Zen dome (aluminum) construction is fairly smooth to install and remove. BTW I use both the 8-18 mm lens and the 60mm macro close up lens with this dome and have excellent results. Have not seen any blurring or distortions in the 60mm photos other than a very narrow strip on the exterior of the photos. This can be cropped out if you get anal about it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom