Dominica ... first week of April.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

saholz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just booked 8 days in Dominica, with Buddy Dive, and will be staying at Fort Young.

This will be my first trip there, and would appreciate any suggestions and comments, particularly about things to do on the island. Dive sites will be in the hands of Buddy Dive, and for the five days I'll be diving with them I assume they will cover the best dive spots.

Not sure of water temperatures for the first week of April, but I'm thinking a 3mm full suit should be more than adequate.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Haven't been. It's one of those 'maybe someday' potential destinations I keep tabs on when other people report. Some links with other people's content that might have something to offer you:

Dominica…everything I should know but don’t - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gr...minica-everything-i-should-know-but-dont.html

I was surprised by how nice the diving was in Dominica. Excellent! - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/le...rised-how-nice-diving-dominica-excellent.html

Dominica Recommendations? - http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/lesser-antilles/494111-dominica-recommendations.html

Richard.

be sure to check out the mountain chicken...apparently it tastes just like frog.

The fort is in town, so be sure to wander about and try some of the local restaurants.

April in Dominica is the end of the drier season, especially early April. A bit windy, but warm. Inshore water temps around 80 F. 3mm is certainly adequate, and a good choice for multiple dives. Lots to see almost anywhere inland, especially if you have your own transportation. if using hired transport they'll take you to the usual falls, rivers, etc. Try a river float into the sea.

Thanks for all the very helpful information! Of our 8 days there, 5 will be part of a ten dive package with a two dive boat trip in the mornings. Afternoons will be free to explore the island. I'll be going with my wife and another couple,including my dive buddy, so we'll be two divers and two non- divers. Our wives do snorkel though.

The trip is from Boston to Barbados, with a long layover before we can get a LIAT flight to Dominica. I know about LIAT's poor reputation, and have used them before on other dive trips. No choice here, so I'll just keep my fingers crossed and hope for the best.

I've been diving many years, and have visited most popular ... and not so popular ... Caribbean dive destinations. I was looking for something different and Dominica looked very interesting. Again, thanks for all the help. I am optimistic that this will be a really fun trip.

Thanks in advance for a trip report. I'm keen to hear how you enjoyed it. (Or didn't).

Thanks in advance for a trip report. I'm keen to hear how you enjoyed it. (Or didn't).

The trip isn't until April, so it will be a while. I used to be active on the D2D forum, and posted many trip reports there over the years. In any case, when I do get back from this trip, I promise to post an extensive review of Buddy Dive Dominica, the Fort Young Hotel, and the diving and topside excursions.

I recently sold all my photo gear, so no underwater shots on this trip. Just got tired of schlepping all the gear. I did recently buy a Sony HX90V compact "super zoom" camera though ... wonder if they make a housing for that yet? I'm incorrigible!

Don't get a rental car. Driving is impossible on that island. Get a taxi for everywhere.

I enjoyed snokeling the Champagne reef. You'll need scuba boots, not full fins. Rocks.

If you own any camouflage clothing, the police will make you eat it. And bathing suits/nudity is for the ocean and beaches. Keep your shirts on everywhere else.

I also had my Taxi take me to the top of the island where the water resevoir is and there's that river and waterfall from the Pirates movie. Kinda weak, but fun. Swim through open top cavern, cold water, waterfall slams you into the wall as you swim past it. Climb out for a bit, swim back. Doesn't sound like much, but was fun.

Thew Rainforest get's pretty high in thew mountains, so it's nice and cool. If you hate 100+ degree rainforests like I do, a hike through Dominicas rainforest is really sweet as it's nice and cool.

Bumping tours. Or Bumpington tours was the guide I had.

Thanks for all the tips. It should be a nice combination of diving, snorkeling, and hiking. Now, if it weren't still three months away.....

In more than dozen trips I've always rented a 4wd vehicle for the entire trip, picking it up at the airport and dropping it off the day of departure.. If you are a bit twee and can't drive a standard shift then pay someone to drive you around. Otherwise, having your own transport to go where you want when you want is incomparably better, especially on a glorious island like Dominica. I'm in my 70s and have had no problems with negotiating the roads or the rain forests. I spend hours driving into areas not frequented by tourists. I've seen wonderful things.The roads are demanding but certainly not impossible.You should know the Dominicans sometimes laugh at soft spoiled Americans behind their backs. Be a traveler, not a tourist, not a big spoiled baby.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom