Dominica suggestions?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LarryHinDC

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
It has been more than 15 years since I've been to Dominica, and we would like to schedule a trip this coming winter. We are looking for suggestions for where to stay and who to dive with. Also, any suggestions about where to eat would also be welcome.

And we also hope to be doing some on-island exploration, so if you have any recommendations of people/companies that will take us to some of the great places on Dominica, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

I stayed at Sea World when I was there (November 2018). If you want basic budget lodging, I would choose them. For something nicer, Castle Comfort seemed like a good option. They have an on-site dive op, Dive Dominica.

If you're going in winter, you might be there in time for the sperm whales! You might want to reach out to Images Dominica to talk to Izzy. He's a marine biologist and really knows the whales.

It has been more than 15 years since I've been to Dominica, and we would like to schedule a trip this coming winter. We are looking for suggestions for where to stay and who to dive with. Also, any suggestions about where to eat would also be welcome.

And we also hope to be doing some on-island exploration, so if you have any recommendations of people/companies that will take us to some of the great places on Dominica, that would also be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Hey Larry,
My husband and I just got back from Dominica!! Was an awesome trip. We actually didn't plan our trip very well before we left (my fault). It was a last minute, hey we need a break type of things. We started by staying on the northern end of the Island (Don't recommend unless you want to drive alot) E mailed Cabrits dive to get my husbands certification completed before we left. Everything seemed to be set up. When on Island though, we had a really hard time trying to get in touch with them, left emails, what's App (everyone on Island uses this App), and called, even tried stopping at the shop (twice) to see if we could get things done. After 3 days of trying to reach them , we drove the entire Island and called just about every dive shop on Island. Eventually we got a response from Dive Dominica, but they were booked for cert. dives until April ( we were there for two weeks in feb). They suggested Nature Island Dive in Soufriere. What a blessing!! This shop was amazing!! By the time my husband got his paperwork done, we not only had a booking for the next day to complete his cert dives, but the owner (Wendy) had us hooked up with accommodations in the area. We had such a good time with the cert. dives that we stayed in the area and completed 10 more dives with this shop!! The entire staff would go above and beyond for anyone. I just can't say enough good things about them. Especially after our experience just trying to book with other shops. This shop made our trip and I can't wait to dive with them again.

I was there a month ago. First, Castle Comfort lodge is no longer in operation. Another operator has leased the hotel under a different name, but there are no single booking packages with Dive Dominica. You would have to make separate arrangements. You can however book a single dive package through Fort Young Hotel with Dive Dominica. The shop at Fort Young is actually much nicer. The boats just run over from Castle Comfort. If you want to dive the northern sites, I don't know those options.

added: I should mention that when I was there recently, a storm several weeks earlier had taken out the dock ladders at both Fort Young and Castle Comfort, so the shore diving that was in my plan was not an option.

When I was there ( a long time ago) we stayed at Picard Beach Cottages in the north. Had a wonderful time. There's a great reef about 10 feet from shore just past the medical school (maybe a hundred yards or less up the beach) that is a great snorkel. Picard hooked us up with Alexis for land based (waterfalls with exotic plunge pools, indian river paddle, jungle walks, etc.) and water activities (snorkeling hidden cove, champaigne, etc). The hike to boiling lake was a bit much for me. I only made it to the top but my kids made it. Said the valley of desolation was awsome. I also missed going to the Caribbe village. Hope to get back and do that.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom