Don't Dive SCUBA WORLD, Sunshine Coast AU

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiverBGO

Reaction score
I planned a weeks stay in central Queensland (the Sunshine Coast) just north of Brisbane and I planned to get my AOW while there. Made all my plans via e-mail with Scuba World in Mooloolaba who assured me they could conduct a one-on-one class and get me certified within 2-3 days, weather permitting. They backed out 3 days before my trip!!! As it turns out, it was just too windy to get out (3 metre swells) during the whole time I was there. But... I had spent weeks researching the area, the shops, and e-mailing back and forth to set up my course of study, etc. I e-mailed Scuba World 3 days before my departure to confirm everything and got an e-mail back from "Sam" saying that they couldn't do the class afterall because it wasn't economically viable to do it with just one student. While I understand that reasoning, I had already been assured that they could "take care of me". If they could only do the class with X number of students, they should have said so and I would either have made other plans or been prepared to just do some diving instead of scheduling my vacation around an event that wasn't going to take place! The bottom line: If your vacation plans include the Sunshine Coast area north of Brisbane, avoid Scuba World... they simply can't be trusted.

I understand your frustration, but I have seen this post on just about EVERY board on the Net.

Are you going to contribute something positive to the boards that you registered on, or just did you just register so you could spread this message?

Just wondering....

~SubMariner~

In all fairness to Scuba World, they did give you a 3 day notice of the cancelation.

For whatever reason they cancelled they did give you ample notice and time to find another shop. You said as it turned out the seas were rough and would have been cancelled anyway.

I am not sure exactly why you are upset. And besides, you live in Florida for gosh sakes, why would you want to spend valuable diving time in Australia taking a class, when you live in some of the best diving waters in the world.

We have seen this before and it is unfair to come to this Board and flame a shop or operator without both sides of the story.

If you have any positive input as SubMariner said we would be glad to hear from you.

But let's be fair.

ID

And I've got you surrounded on another thread!

Joewr...what can I say?

Was I frustrated with my exerience? You bet! Was I royally pissed? Absulutely! That's why I posted on several boards to warn folks about this jerk. And, although this was my first post on this BBS, I have made regular posts on others.

Iguana... The only reason I had 3 days notice is because I e-mailed to confirm everything. Had I not, I would have found out upon arrival and been stuck. This isn't an area like Cairns where there's a dive shop on practically every corner, so setting things up ahead of time was crucial. True, I didn't get to go diving anyway, but my point in posting was simply to warn others of a shop that doesn't live up to its promises.

I don't have a lot of $$$ for either travel or diving, but since I was there to see my wife's ailing 95 year-old grandmother anyway, I thought I would take advantage of the weak Aussie dollar and get my AOW for half the cost of the same certification in the U.S.

Believe me, I am not one to belly-ache and complain about every little thing... I have never complained about a shop or product before. In fact I will be posting a report about my diving with Fathom Five Divers of Kauai in the next few days which, I can assure you, will be quite positive. Perhaps my credibility would have been greater had I reversed the order in which I reported. At any rate, thanks for the input. I look forward to seeing more of your posts as I become a more regular participant on this board.

Back
Top Bottom