Don't help?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I very much appreciate people mentioning that I don't have my fins or mask or weights just before I backflip off the boat. I also appreciate them asking me if I have checked if my air is on. I don't want them setting up my gear and try to politely make that known. I don't want them touching my valve.

-Mask was handed up, and then they set my tank on it.

Don't hand your mask up while you're in the water. Things can happen and you might need it. It's easy enough to drop it around your neck or put it on your forehead after you climb the ladder and that way it doesn't get misplaced or damaged.

Hose was dropping my tank upside-down and a rock shearing off the hose. Second time was dropping it against a wall, blew the fitting

I have no clue what you're talking about here.

-Fin strap was pulling it tight towards my toe instead of away, snapping my buckle.

Adjust your own fins.

If you talk to an imaginary friend while you set up your gear, no one will bug you with offers of help.
Or just argue with yourself about correct setup?

Some mentioned not needing help & self sufficiency. I fit that mold, though I do appreciate boat crew's assistance on a moving boat.
I dive solo like 95% of the time and have my routines. When I was assisting with OW courses I always brought my own van and geared up on the trunk, somewhat away from the class. Reason being--Though I've done it more the 700 times, I don't like conversing with someone while gearing up. I actually may forget one little step. I get side tracked talking about some dive story with a buddy. After I'm geared up I can talk a blue streak.
I always throw this one in when I can--- I was buddying years ago with a father/daughter team I met at the site in FL. The daughter couldn't figure out why the reg didn't work. She had it on BACKWARDS--that is, the 1st stage wasn't seated in the tank valve, it was on the back of the tank valve. Amazingly, an instructor said he had seen THAT before.

I have no clue what you're talking about here.

Edited for clarity, thanks. Looks like I left some key words out.

About that talking to myself, it's gotten me out of some dangerous situations.

@Akimbo the wet glove donning tip would help many. I've not stumbled across a graceful method yet myself.

That "talking to yourself" while gearing up may be a good point. My wife says I do it a lot anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom