Don't know if you remember us...but....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tyki

Reaction score
Hi Gang.....

Back in March my husband and I took our classroom training and confined water dives and then took off for Florida for our Open Water certification....and well....didn't quite finish up (one day of mini-disasters followed by a day of excellent diving, so only got 1/2 of our certification completed).

Well, we finally got our schedules to work and this weekend....well :bounce: :bounce: ....this weekend we went out to France Lake in New Paris Ohio (a limestone quarry) on Saturday, and then Gilboa Quarry (another limestone quarry)....we are slightly sunburned, lots tired, but very excited to announce that through persistence and patience, we have finally completed our PADI Open Water certification and have all 6 of our dives fully logged in our log book.

I even managed to ward off panic when for the first time I had trouble clearing my mask. We were doing the partial flood and clear exercise, I've never had a problem with this exercise. Well this time...I couldn't get water into the mask...and then when I did, some went up my nose. Everytime I tried to clear the mask, water from my sinuses would go down my throat and I would start choking and coughing. I wanted to bolt for the surface where I could cough in peace. However, I was determined to do the skill. The instructor signaled asking if I was okay, I signaled to wait, I stopped trying to clear the mask and finished coughing, caught my breath, and resumed trying to clear the mask. It took about 4 tries, but I managed not to bolt, I managed to stop and think about what needed to be done and not panic, and I finally successfully completed the exercise. As I said, it isn't a skill I had trouble with before, just this one time...but panicking even once can spell trouble. I was rather proud of myself for working through it and not trying to rush for a solution.
We got home around 1030 tonight and are already looking forward to our next opportunity to get wet.

:bounce: :bounce:

The plane they sunk at Gilboa back in April already has a school of over 40 rainbow trout (12-18 inches long) that have made their home their.

Patience, persistence, and practice....eventually you can reach you intermediate goals.

tyki
PADI OW certified, 22 July 2001

Hi Tyki,

I am so happy to hear that you and your husband finally made it through and got your certifications. I was wondering how all of that turned out for you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Scuba. Have fun and enjoy every minute of it. You have earned it.

Cheers,

Congratulations on your certifications!! Also very gld to hear how well you handled your mask clearing problem. That is probably the best lesson you've had to this point. Congrats on a job well done.

Tyki,

Congrats on your new life, and more kudos for the mask incident.
Glad everything turned out your way.

A little sunburned, hehe...today here in the "Diving Mecca of the World" it was 108 deg f.

ID

I just saw your name on another thread, and was wondering whatever happened to you? I'm glad to see you back on the boards. Congratulations on your certification! and [red]welcome home![/red]

Tavi

Great job tyki! Welcome to the underwater realm. Remember: Blow bubbles, have fun, and strive to continue your education.

Sea you in the Deep Blue!

Back
Top Bottom