Don't touch the turtles!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The scutes and margins in between on my pet tortoise are very sensitive, and he literally jumps away when you rub fingers over them (someone said it's analogous to being kicked in the shins, or stubbing your toe). . . I would say look but don't touch the sea turtles at all, period.

I read that the tumors are present on turtles all around the world, and one person involved speculated that the reduction in incidence in Hawaii was of unknown cause, but possibly due to removing the infected turtles from circulation.

I've met the NOAA Hawaii turtle guy (George Balazs) and I knew some Hawaii tumor turtles were/are euthanized and often used for research, but that's a twist to say euthanizing is helping! Many other turtles had the tumors removed and were returned to their home waters.

The one I saw today at Kapalua Bay had many large tumors, just like many of the turtles I see on a weekly basis. The incidence of tumor growth is decreasing in Hawaii and "circulation" sounds better than an immune system learning how to fight it better or global warming raising the temp above that best for the tumor.

Last edited:
I'll admit it, I touched one, once, the fellow below, on my second 'real' (post-cert dives in the muck of LI sound) dive ever, he wanted to go where I was, pushed past me, and after I took the photo, let one fingertip trace down the shell. Probably never do it again, but had to do it once.

Attachments

• turtle4-tarpon alley.jpg
    turtle4-tarpon alley.jpg
    417.5 KB · Views: 95
Here is my question on the subject.

What if turtles actually seek you out?

We have a boat dive spot where no crap a turtle now turtles actually come to seek the instructor out of the group and will follow him during a dive and literally want his attention.

They dont do it to every instructor on my crew just the person?

what do you think?

there are several turtles that follow divers at our local sites. maybe the turtle smells something on that person...maybe the turtle is in love with that person...you could speculate all day as to why a turtle does what he does, but as long as we are unable to "speak" turtle, we won't know.

i think that until we reach that time, or until a turtle comes up and asks for you to touch him, it's hands off! :wink:

I have seen a number of juvi turtles who seemed to think blonde hair would be tasty. I have also known a couple young turtles that apparently enjoyed rubbing up against the dive flag line I was towing (daily event). I once had a young turtle with a hook in the shoulder swim up to me and allow me to get ahold of the tassel, but when I yanked it bolted. If I'd had wire cutters and pliers (leatherman?) I might have had more success.

I have worked with experienced guides that taught me how to communicate that I enjoy the turtle's presence, and after trying it I am now a believer. I will not put that in print, but I will say that when the turtle wipes it's face with it's flipper it may very well be saying "get out of my face!"

I think we shouldn't touch any animals underwater in general. Be it because some are toxic, others get disturbed or even can catch diseases. It's NOT our world down there guys. We are only guests. So take only pictures, leave only bubbles.

Regarding turtles, I'm not a biologist but I can confirm they get scared easily if you treat them the wrong way. Especially at night these poor creatures can freak out with the bright lamps and you can just try to keep the light away and let them flee.

Another theory I've heard - but I don't know if it's true - is that if you catch a turtle from behind and touch their shell too hard they get so scared they swim as fast as they can out to open water until they die of exhaustion. That's what they told me in Curacao.

I am a big fan of look but don't touch. One of the instructors I used to work with always chased the turtles (and everything else) around and get waaaay to close and basically scare them off. It was frustrating to watch and would ruin it for the other divers who entered the water after us as the turtles would take off and not return for several hours. So unfortunately, I got to see first hand the result of being too aggressive with the turtles. My conclusion - don't touch the turtles! And, if they approach you, that doesn't give you carte blanche to touch them...try to respect their space and move back a bit.

I am a big fan of look but don't touch. One of the instructors I used to work with always chased the turtles (and everything else) around and get waaaay to close and basically scare them off. It was frustrating to watch and would ruin it for the other divers who entered the water after us as the turtles would take off and not return for several hours...

Exactly.

Just dove at Leleiwi here in Hilo on Sunday (Feb. 1st). It was a great of dive, with good viz, lots of very calm, friendly turtles at cleaning stations and swimming freely, more sleeping under coral. One came right up to check out my fins as my legs dangled into the water at the entry point (you have to sort of sit and "scooch" down into chest deep water off of a low lava shelf).

I think by giving the turtles some "personal space", moving slowly and backing-off if they approach us, don't chase them (and NO TOUCHING!), etc., we get a local turtle population that will accept divers in fairly close proximity without fleeing. This is a good thing for both the diver, and much better for the turtles I think.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom