"Don't worry, we'll get your weight down"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Everyone is different when weighting. There are to many factors to say someone should wear &*&*^* pounds. I teach my students to weigh themselves with a tank about 500 psi then go to the bottom of the pool or 15 foot whereever and take off their mask and do a few skills there without the mask. The reason I do this is if the are weighted properly and relaxed when the get in the ocean and are excited on their safety stop bouyancy will change. Doing the skills without a mask builds anxiety like being on the safety stop does.

Tparrent,

Thanks for posting this question. I am a new diver (10 dives) and was going to post the same question. Heck I am using 26 lbs ( I am 5'9" 255lbs) and have the same problem. Everyone's feedback is helpful. I think I may buy steel tanks as I think the aluminum buoyancy issue is a big part of the problem.

Thanks to all,
John

As an ending, I can tell you that I shed pounds every day of my vacation in St. Vincent. I am writing up the whole trip and will post later.

I reached a good balance between bouyancy and bottom time with a steel 80 and 10 pounds. The other divers were wearing steel 72s but were all very experienced. The guide suggested I up the tank so we would all surface together and I could take some weight out of my vest. He also suggested dropping a pound or two each day and he was right.

Let me tell you, diving four days in a row sure made me comfortable! I really figured out the whole bouyancy thing. At the end I could move 15 feet vertically up or down with just breath control. AWESOME.

I am hooked! Cayman's in three weeks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom