DOR 4 Photo Comp?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CLA:
Hi. I don’t mean to hijack this thread or to go off topic but since you’ve been discussing the Inon D2K, can I slip on some questions of my own? I actually posted these questions in the underwater photo forum but got a whopping 0 replies. Maybe Caloy or some other PPD D2k users (Midwest, Pak?) can help. Will be experimenting with it during the holidays too.

1. If you’re using the optical cable instead of the electrical synch cord for the D2kw, is it still necessary to clean and grease the synch connector cap o-ring after each use? Or should I just leave it alone? Leave it alone.. makes no diff.
  2. Do you get better results for macro using STTL or using external auto? I use external auto cos I was used to it from my old D180. Never tried STTL yet.
  3. Have you tried using the strobe when camera is in supermacro? For supermacro, I think my 5060 has to be in slave flash mode which means you can’t use STTL. What settings would be best for shooting the strobe in supermacro mode?ah, tough question.. I would suggest External Mode..cos that is probably the only one you can use.
  4. Manual recommends ISO 100. Would you? Or would lower Iso be better? The settings for the external and STTL is for ISO 100. If you want to change the "film speed" you would need to adjust the output accordingly. Stick to ISO100...less task loading.
  5. Under what conditions would it be better to use the diffuser ? Do you need to adjust strobe settings when using it? (for external auto and STTL).I use the diffuser to make the light softer. You do not need to adjust using the 0.5 diffuser as the switch (to adjust output by 0.5 f-stop) in from of the strobe will have to be turned to put on the diffuser.
  6. Can you use the strobe in “external auto” even without the magnet? so you can shift between STTL and “external auto” underwater. Depends on the camera. I doubt it since on the 5060, the camera has preflash in STTL and no preflash in slave.
  7. When using the focus light, should you point the light exactly on the subject or above and beyond it?at the subject to that the camera can use the light to focus
  8. With the strobe to one side, the camera is a bit hard to balance (because the strobe is negatively buoyant). Is there a way to counteract this buoyancy? Will the buoyancy arm attachment of Inon be enough?So far I just compensate using arm power.. never tried a compensator.
  9. When using a macro lens, will you need to adjust strobe settings?
Trial and error. Probably good idea to bracket. Always better to slightly underexpose than to over expose.
Sorry again for the hi-jack, Caloy. But since you’ve been reading I was hoping you’d have answers to some of these questions already. I don’t think I can stand going through that manual again. Sumakit ang ulo ko don sa totoo lang.

As for feeling guilty about our diving luho… I think the joy that our hobby brings is priceless - so our money is always well spent. :D

Cathy

Comments are in blue. Hope this helps!

Thanks for the input Tim. Only noticed your reply today. I guess I really should practice using external auto/ manual instead of relying STTL all the time. You seem to be getting even better pics without it (great tubbataha pics btw).:D

Cathy

CLA:
Thanks for the input Tim. Only noticed your reply today. I guess I really should practice using external auto/ manual instead of relying STTL all the time. You seem to be getting even better pics without it (great tubbataha pics btw).:D

Cathy

:D haha thats becos' you have not seen the ones that I chucked out. To be honest, cos I never used STTL, I can't comment on its effectiveness. But manual mode/external auto allows some measure of control over the effect. Have fun trying both!

Back
Top Bottom