DOT Temporarily allowing fills in Out of Hydro Cylinders due to COVID 19

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

most of the larger places like praxair and airgas operate an inhouse RIN that can recertify their own cylinders

Assuming the person who does the hydros is healthy and able to do it. The notice does not say to skip the hydro, it just gives room in case of a disruption, regardless of whether the hydro in-house or the local hydro shop had to close due to illness.

cross training and shift isolation, having only one person capable of performing a critical task is poor planning

cross training and shift isolation, having only one person capable of performing a critical task is poor planning
Having one person doing a task that requires is ongoing relatively expensive training and experience is incredibly common. It's cheaper not training more than necessary for the current demand. Also not planning on them being out sick or in isolation for a month.

I don't see this affecting scuba cylinders which need VIPs far more frequently than hydros anyway. By the time its 6 months over hydro its waaayy overdue on VIP - and not going to get filled by most places.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Isn't this very dangerous? Especially considering it seems to be aimed at oxygen cylinders.

If not then... maybe the testing (and especially VIP) rules really are as much BS as some folks claim.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding. Isn't this very dangerous? Especially considering it seems to be aimed at oxygen cylinders.

If not then... maybe the testing (and especially VIP) rules really are as much BS as some folks claim.
Dangerous how?
Hospital O2 bottles and CO2 cylinders for industry, and inert gas industrial cylinders are only hydroed and VIPed every 5 years anyway (at most, some are on 10 year intervals when star rated, ASTM cylinders are never hydroed at all). Extending it a few months isn't a significant change. None of these cylinders are used underwater which is where almost all the problems arise.

Having one person doing a task that requires is ongoing relatively expensive training and experience is incredibly common. It's cheaper not training more than necessary for the current demand. Also not planning on them being out sick or in isolation for a month.

I don't see this affecting scuba cylinders which need VIPs far more frequently than hydros anyway. By the time its 6 months over hydro its waaayy overdue on VIP - and not going to get filled by most places.

CGA doesn't work like PSI/PCI where you have renewal fees per inspector.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom