Double AL 80s problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T-roy

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hey guys...Here's what I'm working with..2 luxfer al 80s....thermo manifold,standard 8.5"...bands giving 1"between tanks....Here's the problem...when assembled the tanks come up uneven, wider at the top than at the bottom...When assembled independently,bands only no isolator, the tanks are even but I only have 8.125" center valve to center valve....I have assembled several sets of steel doubles and never had this problem, but this is my first set of al 80s i have ever put together...Im just trying to figure out where to go from here...perhaps a set of bands with a little more separation? different size isolator? Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

T...

3AL 80's are 7.25''...you need 7.25'' bands...not 8.5''...

Never heard of 8.5'' bands...they're probably 8'' bands...which are too large for 7.25'' cylinders...

Replace your 8'' bands with 7.25'' bands and your problem(s) will be solved...

W.M...
I do have 7.25" bands.....the 8.5" is the manifold....the distance between the center of the valves created by the manifold itself...thanks!

can you not screw the isolator in far enough to get them to be even?
Thanks T-bone.....not with the locking bolts on the crossbar....see attached...these pics are with the bands on

Attachments

• manifold.jpg
    manifold.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 130
  • manifold2.jpg
    manifold2.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 125
T...

No you don't...

Your center/center should be an adjustable 8.5''

You are likely working with a custom set of bands that were made up for a valve cross bar that does not have an isolator valve...

Drop your photo down and show the bands...the bands you're using are not standard/modern 7.25'' bands...with standard 8.5'' center/center...

If the center/center of your cylinder threads is not 8.5''...or very close to it...then these are not ''standard bands''...

And...there-in lies your problem...

W...

View attachment 575555

The bands fit the tanks correctly....there is 1" of space between the tanks when tightened...Is 1" standard separation between the 2 tanks?

Attachments

• bands.jpg
    bands.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 129
  • bands2.jpg
    bands2.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 133
Sounds like you have 7" bands and need 7.25 bands.

What's your center to center...fitting the cylinders...is only half the job...

Your center/center is obviously not 8.5''...
Center to center is 8.125".....you have me wondering if these bands may be custom or just old...So I need 1.375" of separation between the tanks for my manifold to work....will a new set of bands give me this....just want to make sure i buy what I need to fix the problem...Thanks

Back
Top Bottom