Double Hose Mouthpiece Plug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Luis, with your permission, I can whip up an STL file for this and print some in TPU... I need one myself, and could send some to those in need. Your design though, so I don't want to step on your toes (so to speak).
Respectfully
James

I don't think Bryan will care since he has not sold this in a long time, but you actually need to ask him.

I just gave him all the rights to make them. I really appreciate for you asking before making any more that one for your own personal use. But again, I just gave this for Bryan to use.

This is something that anyone could have easily "reversed engineer" so it is just very ethical for you to ask. It is also so simple, that I hate to even call it "engineered". There was no real engineering in its design.

Thanks

I don't think Bryan will care since he has not sold this in a long time, but you actually need to ask him.

I just gave him all the rights to make them. I really appreciate for you asking before making any more that one for your own personal use. But again, I just gave this for Bryan to use.

This is something that anyone could have easily "reversed engineer" so it is just very ethical for you to ask. It is also so simple, that I hate to even call it "engineered". There was no real engineering in its design.

Thanks
I'll ask Bryan then.... I'm just lazy enough to use your measurements instead of taking my own!
Respectfully
James

I'll ask Bryan then.... I'm just lazy enough to use your measurements instead of taking my own!
Respectfully
James

Yes, that is why I am sure Bryan will not mind, but it is a very nice courtesy. And now-a-days, others might have used these dimensions knowing that no one would have known the difference... It is now on the internet, so it is public knowledge.

It is not really a big deal, but I really appreciate you asking.

Thanks again

Go to Walmart or the dollar store and get a pair of those super cheap flip flops. Cut out a shape that fits snug then put a small carabiner or clip through the end to stow it on a d-ring. $2-3 total and works great.

Go to Walmart or the dollar store and get a pair of those super cheap flip flops. Cut out a shape that fits snug then put a small carabiner or clip through the end to stow it on a d-ring. $2-3 total and works great.
But then I don't use my 3d printer... Lol
When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail!

At Walmart they have cheap yoga foam blocks. I discovered these as a result of a thread here on SB. Where have these been all my life! A nice, stiff foam, in colors and it carves and saws!.

N

At Walmart they have cheap yoga foam blocks. I discovered these as a result of a thread here on SB. Where have these been all my life! A nice, stiff foam, in colors and it carves and saws!.

N

Most folks hang out at dive shops looking for dive gear. I hang out at hardware stores looking for stuff to make/modify my dive gear. When I'm trailing behind my wife in some homewares store I occupy my time looking at products and asking myself if they give me any ideas on inventing/modifying/improving dive gear. Yeah, I'm weird. :)

I don't believe Bryan will ever make these plugs again. I designed this back in 2009, but this drawing is from 2012.

These plugs worked great with the US Divers curved mouthpiece (original or reproduction). It doesn't work with other mouthpieces, they are all different.

Notice the curve mouthpiece has sharp inside corners. You don't want to round the edges, they just don't need to super sharp either (or have burrs). The rubber plug that Bryan used to sell was probably the best, but it can be made of other materials.

If you are going to carve one out of wood, I recommend something like Teak. It will last longer and you can get a long lasting finish by just sanding it smooth.

Note: this is just a plug... you don't really need to keet the dimensions down to three decimal places. It is just a tapered plug, not a Swiss watch. Sorry about the unnecessary implied precision. I just didn't paid attention to my dimensional settings in AutoCad when I did this drawing. That is bad... :oops:

View attachment 575009

This is what I was looking for. Now to find a piece of teak.

Thanks

In olden times we mostly just shut the valve off until the surface swim was done with. But people did use plugs. I would tie mine on a string to the hose near the mouthpiece, still do if not using the VDH DSV. In recent times several sources have produced various rubber plugs and referred to them as a PMDSV (poor man's dive/surface valve).

N

Had not occured to me to just leave the valve off. Simple solution. I like it!

I would look at investing in the DSV from VDH. Also gives you the ability to swap mouthpieces to whatever you think is most comfortable. It's the bomb dot com @Luis H did a brilliant job with it

I saw that and considered getting one before the site closed down. At this time, I want to keep the original external appearance of the reg. I may get one in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom