Double short hose regulator configuration (for non-wreck / non-cave environments)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DanSEA

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Please note: Following is under consideration of non-wreck, cave or (extreme) technical diving.

Being someone always trying to optimize my equipment in terms of light travelling (and clutter free diving), I would like to challenge the ‘real’ need to have a long hose configuration for the right tank instead of using a short hose setup (with break-away bolt-snaps connected to necklace) for both tanks (referring to Steve Martin’s short-hose configuration for solo diving; see screenshots).

Before you shoot why this might be ‘craziest idea ever’, please consider following for OOA situations:
  • Generally, OOA is only acceptable due to technical failure (in fact, OOA caused by lack of air monitoring is completely unacceptable (->terrible diver) and I would never dive with such divers)
  • Air sharing is possible with short hose configuration (although having an impact on comfort due to distance)
  • Air sharing results into team ascend anyway, hence, impact on comfort is limited to TTS.
  • OOA being such a rare occasion, does above discomfort (due to distance during ascent) really matter? I doubt!

Please do not argue “what is the point?” – some divers are in favor of light travelling / minimal configuration, while others don’t mind bringing tons of equipment (and some of them looking like a ‘Christmas Tree’ :wink: ).

Curious about your opinions and a healthy discussion.

Cheers,
Dan

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170525-171210.png
    Screenshot_20170525-171210.png
    517.6 KB · Views: 336
  • Screenshot_20170525-171332.png
    Screenshot_20170525-171332.png
    685.2 KB · Views: 292
traversing any distance underwater in an air share situation would reveal the "shortcomings" of this configuration.

you state that there would be some discomfort... why make a stressful situation more so?

Hardly see how this is making the situation more "stressful"? Air sharing is part if the s-drills (e.g. I practise with different buddies frequently). Wondering if long hose config in above described situation is a) adding much more comfort in OOA and b) if this additional comfort justifies the need of carrying a 2m hose while constantly being stored in the hose retainers (at least part of it).

Would be keen to know, how often you guys experienced OOA (non avoidable ones)..

you state that there would be some discomfort... why make a stressful situation more so?

+1. If you do a real air sharing emergency, you will find out how quickly a short hose adds to the stress. In particular, if the OOA diver is panicking, you don't have the ability to hold them at arms length while you get them calmed down. Indeed, short of an equipment failure, there is no reason to ever run out of gas. But it happens. And the person demanding gas from you might not even be your buddy. It happens.

With that said, I appreciate your quest for "clutter free diving." However, IMHO, the long hose is not the place to do that. Aside from the benefits of air sharing, I actually find a long hose MORE streamlined, not less. Sure, you have to pay attention to the ridiculous hose length on the boat. But, when I'm in the water and have mine tucked in place, I actually like how it lays against my body and loops tightly around my head, instead of making that big, dangly loop out to the side.

Curious about your opinions and a healthy discussion.
As a general response, if that configuration works for you (and whomever you dive with), then go for it. I think it is great when divers tweak their gear to find what configuration best suits their diving.

I look at hose configuration from the perspective of air-sharing, which may, or may not, involve one diver being OOA. For example, perhaps two divers want to enjoy a dive together, but one has a higher SAC, or smaller cylinder(s). They may elect to air share (lower SAC / more gas diver donating to the higher SAC / less gas diver) during part of a dive simply to equalize supply and dive times. A long hose facilitates that. In fact, when my wife and I dive together with AL80s, we frequently do that (her gas consumption is less than mine), and the 7' LH allows us to enjoy the diving with little / no inconvenience. So, that is the context for my comments, below:
  • Generally, OOA is only acceptable due to technical failure (in fact, OOA caused by lack of air monitoring is completely unacceptable (->terrible diver) and I would never dive with such divers) I AGREE.
  • Air sharing is possible with short hose configuration (although having an impact on comfort due to distance) IT IS POSSIBLE, BUT VERY AWKWARD.
  • Air sharing results into team ascend anyway, hence, impact on comfort is limited to TTS. AIR SHARING WILL NOT NECESSARILY ALWAYS RESULT IN TEAM ASCENT, AS I NOTED ABOVE. WHEN THERE IS AN OOA SITUATION, THEN I FULLY AGREE.
  • OOA being such a rare occasion, does above discomfort (due to distance during ascent) really matter? I doubt! FROM MY PERSPECTIVE, AN OOA SITUATION, WHERE THERE IS A NEED TO SHARE AIR, IS A TIME WHEN I WANT MINIMAL DISCOMFORT AND AWKWARDNESS.
As I stated at the outset, if a double short hose works for you, go for it. I wouldn't have an issue diving it solo. But, (all of) my regs are already configured (7' LH), and I would not change out a set just because I was traveling. That is just me, however, and your priorities will differ. The configuration itself (double short hose) is fine if it works for you.

giving the circumstances you mention If you feel that it suits you, do it, you may not need to have does 6' hose you can make it 3', OOA is not a common situation if you dive every time with a known buddy, but you don't know if you are in a vacation and a diver in the group have a free flow or really a OOA, they normally will take the regulator out of your mount, so if you happen to have the short hose regulator in your mount then he will get the short hose, so it will not add additional stress, after the OOA diver had calmed down you may want to offer a long hose, but at this point you probably had started ascent.

with wreck or cave the long hose is mandatory do to constrained spaces, if you don't do such dive I don't see the point of having long hose.

Everybody that started diving did that with the Octo, in that is a short hose, and you don't see nobody making these hoses longer or saying that is incorrect, so it go back to application, OW no long hose needed, Penetration diving, Required.

Aldo I can say that putting your buddy that is low on air on your long hose just diving OW and shooting pictures makes it very handy because he can be 5-6 feet beside or above you, while you are shooting that picture so it makes only that situation more comfortable.

Air sharing is an obvious issue. In open water a longer hose might make it a little easier and comfortable for the recipient. And it might be more convenient for you simply because it's easier to donate gas if your hose is longer. If you don't want to carry a 7 foot hose you can do try it with a 5 foot hose.

Personally I ditched the breakaway clip thingys and went with a magnetic hose keeper to retain my long hose. https://www.amazon.com/Oceanpro-Mag...kmr0&keywords=ocean+reef+magnetic+hose+keeper

If everyone is sidemount, I don't see why everyone couldn't use short hose. Just donate the entire tank.

If everyone is sidemount, I don't see why everyone couldn't use short hose. Just donate the entire tank.
On the surface, that sounds like a reasonable idea (donate the entire tank). But, if you donate a cylinder, you change your buoyancy, and you may no longer have control. Even if you swap cylinders, you will change your buoyancy, unless the recipient is using identical cylinders.

If I am donating air to an OOA diver, I would want to be sure they are not panicked and incapable of surfacing, so I will stay with them on the ascent. I don't want to change my buoyancy, or lose half of my gas supply, by donating a cylinder. There may be times when that is the best option. But, often it is not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom