Doubles recommendations for a small framed women?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's true that we probably do not agree on what "helpful" is.

I am sure that when you read my posts, it does not come across as if I am trying to help you. In reality, I really am trying to help you. My personality tends to be sarcastic so I can't really blame the internet for me coming across like an arse.

Good luck with your class. I am sure you will find it challenging and enjoyable at the same time.

Thanks Ted, I do know you are trying to help :).

Just suspected it from things I've read. Perhaps it's not stature related?

Most "height" problems really boil down to the tanks + plate being an increasingly significant fraction of your total body mass. So there's less torso, arms and legs to move around, arch your back more/differently, extend your arms or legs, etc.

I am 5'8" and about 145lbs so I'm not vastly larger than someone like Lynne. But proportionally I have alot more body (mass and inches here and there) to be able to trim out bigger tanks 119s/108s etc than she probably can.

All in all I would say that 25% of your fixes are going to be structural (moving plates, lead & straps) and 75% of the "fix" is going to be diving with a better understanding (from an instructor) of how you need to orient yourself differently. This latter fraction may very well be unsolvable if your buddies are too close & above you.

Ps one thing to examine is if your mask is fitting in such a way as to block a portion of your view for/upwards even when your head is otherwise positioned correctly.

Ps one thing to examine is if your mask is fitting in such a way as to block a portion of your view for/upwards even when your head is otherwise positioned correctly.

And it's even possible that the mask is some/all of the problem as far as vision angle. I don't know what mask Kathy's using, but they definitely aren't all equal as far as viewing angle up or down. I have a much better downward angle than my regular buddy, allowing me to read my SPG without unclipping it; he can't. Not sure about upward angle for him (mine is 25 degrees), but I seem to be able to see a lot more than most people.

Guy

Thanks for all your advice. Took your thoughts into water today and my scope of vision has greatly improved.

You have no idea how much I appreciate those of you who helped out. Ascents are functional now and these pre fundies dives to nail essentials skills in doubles will be much more productive :). I'm really looking forward to the class!

Last edited by a moderator:
Post Fundies follow-up thoughts:

Well the steps needed to resolve the head clearance issue on my doubles set up were complex. They involved swapping plates both for size and to switch to Al, drilling holes in the new plate to move the tanks down quite a bit, redistributing weight & changing body position in many ways. It took quite a bit of individual coaching and attention. Beto, my GUE-F instructor, was a master at working all this out, which radically improved both my trim and diving. As a result I have great respect and admiration for him.

Prior to Fundies, I had a true issue with head clearance on my new rig which was making diving unpleasant, practice drills difficult and ascents challenging at best. While your suggestions did not fix the problem, they offered solutions to try, which enabled me to achieve a sufficient level of comfort to do valuable pre-fundies practice sessions and nail most of the skills I learned through Essentials.

I am truly grateful to those of you who tried to help. Your advice made a significant difference. But in the end it turned out to be impossible to fully solve the head clearance problem with my small SS back plate and skill level. The complexity of the issue required a skilled instructor.

As anticipated, lack of head clearance and thus difficulty practicing ascents in the doubles did cost me during Fundies. I can't be sure if it made the difference or not. Regardless, I loved Beto's instruction so much, I would not pass up the opportunity to spend another day in the water with him doing a check out dive for the tech pass.

Apologies for my earlier frustration.

Last edited:
Just curious: You mention that it was impossible to solve your head clearance problem with your small SS plate; could you give a summary of what did solve it? Did you actually go to a larger plate (it almost sounds like it?).

B.

Just curious: You mention that it was impossible to solve your head clearance problem with your small SS plate; could you give a summary of what did solve it? Did you actually go to a larger plate (it almost sounds like it?).
B.

Each body and situation is different. For me there was no room on the smaller plate to drill lower holes which would drop the tanks. Additionally I needed to free up some ditchable weight for ballast. A longer, lighter plate was indeed necessary, but then there were special considerations like reaching the valves, and shoulder strap length in relation to where the larger plate was positioned on my short torso.

Just swapping the gear in isolation would have never solved the overall issue. Like I mentioned earlier, the issue was complex and involved many adjustments both for gear and body to achieve the head position & trim I desired. I suspect that is why some cautioned against offering advice on the board.

After going through the process, my best advice is to achieve as much comfort as possible. Then, I'll echo what others have already said: just take the class and trust your instructor to dial you in :).

Last edited:
Bamamedic is one of my regular dive buddies. As long as I've known her she's dove 95s and 85s and she's a little bitty thing.

she does look funny walking those things down to the water

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom