Doubles Regulator Sets Hog and Dive Rite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jerrod

Registered
Reaction score
I have been slowly purchasing everything for a set of doubles, and finally I have everything except the regulators!

The diving I will probably be doing will be max 150' dives, cavern and wreck (light zone) over the next two or three years. Temperature will be from 45-85 F, with the occasional 10 mins in the spring time at 34-35F. So I want something that will provide superior performance under those conditions. I only dive fresh water.

I have found two sets I like and they are of equal price: Hogarthian Configuration Regulator Packages - Dive Gear Express

Set 1 is a Dive Rite for $519

Set 2 is a Hog $479 ($519 with cold kits)

All the reviews are quite positive, right now I am settling on the Hogs because, from my understanding, training is easier to acquire. What do you guys think? Anything else I should think about besides maintenance? Are these fair prices? Is dive gear express trust worth?

Thanks for your time,

Jerrod

Dive gear express are a very professional outfit, I have never had an issue with them and have always been satisfied in my dealings with them. Both sets of regs will more than meet the needs you described above, I've used the Hogs and they are great, I like that you can do a service course and buy service kits for them yourself.

Well I called DGV and they were very nice. The guy said the Dive Rite is a good deal money wise for this sale, he also said dive rite can be serviced by a user just like hog.

I am thinking the dive rite is probably what I am leaning to.

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger?

Well I called DGV and they were very nice. The guy said the Dive Rite is a good deal money wise for this sale, he also said dive rite can be serviced by a user just like hog.

I am thinking the dive rite is probably what I am leaning to.

Any other thoughts before I pull the trigger?
Jerrod i am a tec diver and i have both dive rite and hog regs i prefer my hogs but both are nice

I have all HOG regs.
You can even take a course and buy all the parts to rebuild them yourself too.
They have great customer support and pricing on their equipment.

I have a couple hundred dives on each of my HOG's and I've only ever had to have them serviced once. I've only had one blow on me.
I'd say they are pretty reliable :wink:

Check the D1 (cold kits) they are the "old" models and people are starting to dump them cheap from what I have been seeing... so you may be able to get some really good deals on them (new) if you shop around.

One of the major dive shops online had the D1 w/2nd stage, SPG, all hoses for only $260 for the entire set. They even threw in a cheap octo.
Get a couple deals like that and you would come out ahead on free spare parts :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom