Doubles Tanks Must Have Same Height???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Im with JeffG here... If the dude at the LDS is trying to convince you to special order matching tanks (and charge you extra for it?), hes not only an idiot, hes also a bad salesperson thats not service minded..

What he should do is (if he have in store) go find two matching tanks or if he have to order tanks, just tell his supplier theire going to be doubled. Its not like the supplier dont provide service towards the customers just as the salespersons should. Its what both the manufacturer, supplier and retailer live from ffs..

Tigerman:
Im with JeffG here... If the dude at the LDS is trying to convince you to special order matching tanks (and charge you extra for it?), hes not only an idiot, hes also a bad salesperson thats not service minded..

What he should do is (if he have in store) go find two matching tanks or if he have to order tanks, just tell his supplier theire going to be doubled. Its not like the supplier dont provide service towards the customers just as the salespersons should. Its what both the manufacturer, supplier and retailer live from ffs..

I'm not sure i follow.... It seems the tech is being labeled an idiot for suggesting that he'd need to order matching tanks. You then recommend that he order matching tanks if he doesn't have a matched set in stock.

There is nothing in the original post that suggests he'd be charged extra if the tanks had to be ordered, if it's stated later then i missed it.

TomP:
I'm not sure i follow.... It seems the tech is being labeled an idiot for suggesting that he'd need to order matching tanks. You then recommend that he order matching tanks if he doesn't have a matched set in stock.

There is nothing in the original post that suggests he'd be charged extra if the tanks had to be ordered, if it's stated later then i missed it.
The original post:

"I'm a little confused. When I discussed tank purchases with my LDS the tech said the tanks have to be exactly the same height. Reason: To mitigate damage to the manifold. Following that logic...he said the LDS would need to request special matching of tank heights at the factory to ensure the tank heights were exactly the same (or within XXX thousandths)."

Tanks have to be the exact same height, within XXX thousand's of an inch. This will mitigate damage to the manifold. Has to be specially ordered from factory

I would not go as far as calling the monkey an idiot. But he clearly lets us believe he does not know what he is talking about......

1/1000's of an inch is 0.0254 mm Which is extremely accurate, I don't believe that even aircrafts, space ships and other high end technical devices are built to this extreme accuracy. Heck setting up a line for production like this will cost millions. And this is going to damage the manifold......?

I take back my words; yes the monkey is an idiot.

Meng Tze,
Neither my reply nor the post it referenced addressed the precision issue. And that's kind of the point.

We aren't supplied a value for xxx thousandths so i don't think you can conclude that he meant .001. Similarly, we can't just assume the LDS or Mfg will charge extra because it supports a particular point of view. In my prior post i pointed out that Worthington states a varience of up to a quarter of an inch or .250 inches. That might be a material difference to someone that doesn't believe in tank boots.

As to the tech... If he really believes that anything other than perfectly matched tanks will result in maniforld failure then yes he's an idiot. Similarly, if he's being overly dramatic to avoid a discussion on how tanks can be different sizes or why the LDS doesn't keep matched sets in stock then maybe he's just a jerk and not an idiot.

In any case it doesn't really matter, the fact remains that steel tanks can and do differ in length and the Manufacturers are willing to match tanks as a result. That information should be communicated to customers - in a clear and non-alarmist fashion - so they can make an informed decision.

JeffG:
Well, walking into a dive shop and having someone recommend a "device or gear" that they haven't used or understand the concepts tells me volumes. The answer given by the monkey is total BS and since he was able to tell someone that nonsense with a straight face tells me that I wouldn't trust his opinion on anything.

So you can say that what I said was opinion and doesn't require any degree of accuracy, but quite frankly it doesn't change the fact that the shop monkey is an idiot and is doing a disservice to his customers. and so...I disagree with you.
So do you in turn think that Lee at Seapearls (Leadking) is an idiot for asking any shop placing an order if the tanks are going to be doubled and breaking out the calipers if they say yes?

We might have a few things being lost in translation from the supplier to the LDS, the LDS to its employees, the employees to the OP, or the OP to us.

If the LDS thinks that tanks have to be within thousandths of an inch or that they match the tanks at the "factory" (not the supplier), then yes they are certainly mistaken.

hoosier:
It must be very bothering factor, +/- 0.25” difference. I am not sure what “Acceptable” means though. Theoretically, we can get tanks in a half inch difference, MAX. Is it in an acceptable range?

I just doubled up another pair over the weekend. As I post, I got four tanks (130 CF) from the same shop at the same time. I believe that the tanks were directly from the Sea Pearls in Minneapolis. The serial numbers on the tanks aren’t consecutive, but relatively close numbers each other. The heights weren’t exactly same, but not a half inch difference.

I completed all double up process on the table, even a mounting the band on the table. The band screws were firmly tightened. So, theoretically, the tanks shouldn’t be vertically moved. The tanks were filled up to 3500 psi and there was no leaking point.

So, here is my question:

Can’t the firmly tightened bands (screws) tolerate this height difference on the Worthington tanks?

I have four PST tanks, but I didn’t have this kind of issue at all. The concerns about matching tanks have been a considerable factor, but it wasn’t thought to a considerable extent.

Leadking replied though, my questions aren't still answered...:confused:

Leadking:
Worthington has been a great vendor to us; they listen to our issues and have always responded positively. Their current tolerances are now +/- 1/8" and we are constantly working with Worthington to improve the product in many ways. These issues are not something they see in the industrial market and are on a learning curve and doing well. We have to explain the nuances of the diving industry and that "Pretty" is very important to our community. If you store purchased their tanks from Sea Pearls, I will work with them to make you happy.

By the way, Worthington installed a new grit blasting station at galvanizing operation and soon all Worthington Cylinders will be labeled "Oxygen Clean"

xiSkiGuy:
We might have a few things being lost in translation from the supplier to the LDS, the LDS to its employees, the employees to the OP, or the OP to us.

If the LDS thinks that tanks have to be within thousandths of an inch or that they match the tanks at the "factory" (not the supplier), then yes they are certainly mistaken.

No, that does not mean the LDS is "mistaken." It means the LDS is staffed by idiots.

I feel this probably the fault of the individual shop monkey, and not the shop owner. The offending person, obviously has no dealings with mesurements if he believes, or expects another person to believe that thousandths of an inch make a damn in this instance. How much would a set of calipers needed to measure a tank cost anyways?! Sheesh, the hand held one I use for loading bullets is expensive enough.

FD

xiSkiGuy:
So do you in turn think that Lee at Seapearls (Leadking) is an idiot for asking any shop placing an order if the tanks are going to be doubled and breaking out the calipers if they say yes?
If I saw someone with callipers testing tanks for compatibility for doubling up, I would raise my eyebrow and turn around and head out of the store. I would then tell my friends, avoid the store, some serious monkey business is going on.

The guy that does that is probably the same guy trying to get you to O2 clean your BCD for use with nitrox.

JeffG:
If I saw someone with callipers testing tanks for compatibility for doubling up, I would raise my eyebrow and turn around and head out of the store. I would then tell my friends, avoid the store, some serious monkey business is going on.

The guy that does that is probably the same guy trying to get you to O2 clean your BCD for use with nitrox.
:rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom