Doubles, Weight and Dry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Alternative buoyancy is fine, so long as you understand the situation that you are in. However it still makes little sense failing to wear a weight belt, and failing to load that weight belt with the amount of weight corresponding to the volume of your breathing mix multiplied by 0.08 lbs per cu ft. Thus you then and only then have the option to ditch the belt in the early stages of the dive, in case your buoyancy wing (or suit, or both) fails, thus being able to establish neutral buoyancy at that point.

Having such a weight belt also gives you the ability to establish positive buoyancy at the surface after the dive, as well, should the wing and/or suit fail.

There is simply no reason to omit these standard precautions, and diving without any ditchable weight is simply dangerous and negligent. I muted Jeff a long time ago because of his nonsense posts, and today I added ucf to the list. In this way, I do not waste my time on negligent dangerous divers.

You stated that I and another poster were being unsafe by wearing double tanks with no weight belt. How on earth is it safer wearing those same tanks with extra weight as you do? I'm wearing no ditchable weight and negative around 20ish lbs, you're wearing 16lbs ditchable, and around the EXACT same amount of non ditchable weight. Overweighting in no way makes a safer diver, it makes a diver who's just that, overweighted.

You were the first to jump down people's throat on this thread, and all I've asked you to do is justify your criticism, or just admit you're wrong. You're applying the same principle to a negative rig (steel tanks) that you would apply to a rig that can be positive like AL tank and a thick wetsuit. If you're diving with no redundancy bouyancy, then you need to have dropable weight that makes you neutral or close enough to it that you can swim the rig to the surface, and if you're diving with a negative rig, you need to have an alternate source of bouyancy.

So, ignore me if you want, but you still owe the person who you attacked earlier an apology.

There is simply no reason to omit these standard precautions, and diving without any ditchable weight is simply dangerous and negligent.

So I drop the ditchable weight so I can float up to the ceiling of the cave 2000 ft back. How exactly is that a good thing? Most cave divers that I know do not wear ditchable weight. Won't help much in the caves, and I can pretty much crawl up to the surface in a catastrophic failure of both wing and dry suit. Plus, I'm already negative with a pair of steel tanks even when they are empty. So I drop the ditchable weight et voila...I'm still negative. So I guess all of these cave divers are dangerous and negligent. :shakehead:

. I muted Jeff a long time ago because of his nonsense posts, and today I added ucf to the list. In this way, I do not waste my time on negligent dangerous divers.

Got yourself in a pickle again? Your consistent level of doofus advice and ridiculous defense allows us a lens into your world of invented diving. Little wonder you choose to dive alone.

I can only hope you add me to your "ignore" list. It would be an honor and I'd be in distinguished company. On a purely entertainment level bordering on the inane - I'll occasionally glance at your posts to get a laugh.

X

I muted Jeff a long time ago because of his nonsense posts, and today I added ucf to the list. In this way, I do not waste my time on negligent dangerous divers.
Tee hee. I guess you miss all the fun then.

But that's your game isn't it.

Doing your seagull impression. "Fly in and crap over everything"

I know that you do not know anything about diving, so its really not important if you read my replies to you or not.

They are not meant for you, but others.

The more people that understand that you are a clown and a troll with little or no understanding of diving, the better.

So lets expand this a little. Different issue.

I have my doubles broken down and ready for Hydro.
My dilemma, they are O2 clean for Nitrox only right now.
I rarely dive below 130 but it is on occasion a possibility and in the future a probability as there are several dive I want to do as well as take a local deep and Deco course

I am thinking that I want to go Air Only right now and bag Nitrox for the doubles.

Thoughts?

I rarely dive below 130 but it is on occasion a possibility and in the future a probability as there are several dive I want to do as well as take a local deep and Deco course

I am thinking that I want to go Air Only right now and bag Nitrox for the doubles.

Thoughts?

Not sure what you mean here.

If they're "O2 Clean" that means that they are clean enough to dump 100% O2 into for Partial Pressure Blending.

You can maintain the "O2 Clean" status by only using mixes blended with hyperfiltered air. This could be anything from 21% to 100% O2.

If you mean they're "Nitrox Clean" where they're good to 40% for shops that bank premixed blends, they don't need to be any cleaner than any normal tank.

Terry

Thoughts?
I use 32% because I can do every dive on it that doesn't require helium on 32%, and I know that my buddies are on the same mix as me, so our tables always match up and we can verify each other.

If you do a deep dive, you're going to need a helium mix (my opinion, some people dive air to 180ft, you'll have to make that call).

If you *must* use air, use o2 clean air so you keep the o2 clean rating. Just be careful diving mixes that don't match your buddies (which IMO is a bad idea), because if the person with the lower o2 % has a computer fail, you have no backup unless you've been diving tables all day.

Not sure what you mean here.

If they're "O2 Clean" that means that they are clean enough to dump 100% O2 into for Partial Pressure Blending.

You can maintain the "O2 Clean" status by only using mixes blended with hyperfiltered air. This could be anything from 21% to 100% O2.

If you mean they're "Nitrox Clean" where they're good to 40% for shops that bank premixed blends, they don't need to be any cleaner than any normal tank.

Terry

That is what I thought.

Makes sense, they have a Nitrox Only sticker. I was also told when I bought them they were O2 Clean. Personally, I could care less, where I fill them comes from a bank so the clean issue is mute and I would buy the stock 32% if I did use Nitrox.

Some day in the future this might change but I don't see a need for anything other than 32% or 21% for at least 2 years in these tanks

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom