doubles wing selection question - OMS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schwob

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Potentially looking at OMS Ocean Wing (Horseshoe, singles & doubles, camband slots, sets of 3 grommets) or at OMS doubles performance wing (donut, doubles only, single grommet set).
Most likely 45 lbs lift.

Intended use is as dedicated doubles wing (I do not do doubles just yet, but intend to play with it... possibly up to doubles 130hp ... but TBD... (as in, I am not looking for a wing optimised for double 80s or smaller)

I think I would quite like the left/right air movement properties of a donut over a horseshoe - but I am open for more wisdom there...

What gives me pause is the single grommet set in the "performance" wing. Might that be too limiting in allowing for mount positions (trim)? Or not really - how should I think about this?

And then, I (250lbs, 6', dry or 7mil or 5 mil or 3mil... pending (icy to warm) am thinking 45lbs lift.
The other choice is 60 lbs.
I seem to have a hard time figuring out why I might want that much... certainly not for most of what I think I might do).
While I think I really have no need for 69 lbs lift, maybe you could help me understand:
When, under what circumstances, why would one want 60 lbs lift? An example?

I skimmed through bunch of threads, like e.g. the one below, but it seems I am maybe looking at too specific a set of questions. Hence this thread.
Formula for estimating wing size?

Potentially looking at OMS Ocean Wing (Horseshoe, singles & doubles, camband slots, sets of 3 grommets) or at OMS doubles performance wing (donut, doubles only, single grommet set).
Most likely 45 lbs lift.

Intended use is as dedicated doubles wing (I do not do doubles just yet, but intend to play with it... possibly up to doubles 130hp ... but TBD... (as in, I am not looking for a wing optimised for double 80s or smaller)

I think I would quite like the left/right air movement properties of a donut over a horseshoe - but I am open for more wisdom there...

What gives me pause is the single grommet set in the "performance" wing. Might that be too limiting in allowing for mount positions (trim)? Or not really - how should I think about this?

And then, I (250lbs, 6', dry or 7mil or 5 mil or 3mil... pending (icy to warm) am thinking 45lbs lift.
The other choice is 60 lbs.
I seem to have a hard time figuring out why I might want that much... certainly not for most of what I think I might do).
While I think I really have no need for 69 lbs lift, maybe you could help me understand:
When, under what circumstances, why would one want 60 lbs lift? An example?

I skimmed through bunch of threads, like e.g. the one below, but it seems I am maybe looking at too specific a set of questions. Hence this thread.
Formula for estimating wing size?
For twin 130 tanks you might want to look at something with a little more lift. I twinned 120s and I'm using a 60# lift wing. I don't know any exact formula but when I was looking at putting together my doubles setup tech divers I talked to recommended 60.

why OMS?

and 45-50lbs is pretty standard and will hold double 130's. I use a DSS Torus 49 as my doubles wing

Thanks for all replies so far.

Is there a reason to stear away from OMS?

It would go on a second hand SS plate. No idea who made it. Could the single set of mounting grommets be an issue somehow ... does one need 3 sets of grommets?

How about donut versus upside down U shape... am I thinking wrong in prefering a donut?

no particular reason to avoid OMS, just curious how you ended up there

Dive Rite standardized the bolt hole spacing on backplates in the 80's so it'll be fine. 3 sets of grommets allow you to move the wing up and down to help with trim. Most people end up using one though

horseshoe wings are usually fine in doubles because you have a bunch of air in there so it isn't as annoying as trying to dump a horseshoe wing in singles when you don't have any air in it. pros and cons, but in doubles the horseshoes can be nice so you can "pack" air in one side or the other to offset lateral trim issues

horseshoe wings are usually fine in doubles because you have a bunch of air in there so it isn't as annoying as trying to dump a horseshoe wing in singles when you don't have any air in it. pros and cons, but in doubles the horseshoes can be nice so you can "pack" air in one side or the other to offset lateral trim issues

Ah!
Thanks!
You are a cave diver... (and one who knows his sh... from what I gather.
Would a horseshoe wing - in your opinion - also still be fine in cave diving?
Asking because:
I know not what I speak off (yet) but I imagine that in some passages it might be harder to get gas to go from one side to another if one essentially goes in head down trim through that passage...
(and I haven't gathered certainty yet if HS wings have a butt dump on both sides or just one)

@Schwob many, most? maybe are using horseshoe wings in backmount. It is exceptionally rare that you would be in a situation that small, with your head down and ascending. Hell in most sidemount rigs you can't dump at all if you are head down.

@tbone1004
Thanks again.
So if I limit my choice to those two (OMS Ocean Wing or OMS doubles performance wing, pics below, are there other reasons to prefer one over the other?
E.g. is the donut or the HS more streamlined?

My "reasons" to lean towards the donut seem a bit deflated now

(edit: I am inclined to go with black, at least I know that, but the details in the red are better visible in the pics...)

edit 2:
looks to me the HS in this example will loose volume (due to the tanks) when used as a doubles wing - or?

oms-11518012_1.jpg
OMS-11518058_1.jpg

Donut or horseshoe doesn’t matter in practice.

Get a wing for each application. Not a “do it all” wing that really does nothing well.

Number of grommets won’t be the deciding factor on your trim. You dive the gear, it doesn’t dive you. I’ve never needed more than one set of grommets.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom