Downloads. What other options do I have?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

craracer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Aside from dragging my laptop along, or purchasing a netbook, what other options do I have for transferring photos from my SD card while on vacation?

Aside from dragging my laptop along, or purchasing a netbook, what other options do I have for transferring photos from my SD card while on vacation?

I have a wolverine drive with a built in card reader. Works well.

Mine (flashpac) is previous generation. Here's a current one: http://www.amazon.com/PicPac-Memory...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1305255234&sr=1-1

Epson makes some fancy ones with a HQ color screen, but they're quite expensive.

http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?sku=B31B186002

Buy another card and fill it up too?

I prefer carrying a cheap netbook. Not only can I backup to multiple locations but also review the files so I can make adjustments to any mistakes I'm making. It's also nice to have because wifi availability has become so widespread.

Best approach is drive with integrated reader.

I just remembered that I have a 320GB hard drive from my old lap top. Is there anything I can do with it?

I have three 8 gig cards, a 4 gig, and two 2 gig cards. I just thought it might be more safe to pull the photos off of the cards asap? Maybe I'm trying to be over cautious?

I just remembered that I have a 320GB hard drive from my old lap top. Is there anything I can do with it?

I have three 8 gig cards, a 4 gig, and two 2 gig cards. I just thought it might be more safe to pull the photos off of the cards asap? Maybe I'm trying to be over cautious?

hard drive case - DealExtreme find a case with USB capability and no drive already in it. About $50 for an empty case

+

Card Readers, Cheap Mini Card Reader, Discount Memory Card Readers on Sale - DealExtreme find a cheap car-to-USB reader, $5 to $10, the $1 ones are junk.

+

Wholesale - Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com for an android or windows mobile based netbook or tablet PC with 2 USB ports, available for under $100 USD

Less than $200 USD and you can even use the tablet PC to read ebooks during the surface interval.

In my experience, flash media is far more reliable than spinning hard drives. I've failed one SD card and I've never failed a CF card. Contrast that with having failed probably 15 hard drives.

So I guess the question is: what are you trying to accomplish? Are you planning to delete the data from the cards to free up space? Or are you simply hoping for data redundancy?

If you have the option, don't delete the data from the cards AND put them on a harddrive.

I was thinking that I would backup the photos, giving me the option of deleting from a card should I need to. I went to the computer store today and bought a case for the drive (brought the drive with me to show the sales person). Naturally, I got home and the drive won't fit. The pin connectors are wrong.

I decided to pony up and buy a netbook. I forgot how much I hate setting up a new computer. Once I get the correct case, I'll use the drive to backup my laptop, and store photo copies.

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I really appreciate your thoughts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom