DPV travel confusion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Bevan

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
hi guys,

I love and work in Saudi Arabia and I dive here a lot. However technical diving here is fairly hard to come by.

My wife lives in UAE where there is good technical diving available.

I want to buy a DPV but I'm a little confused about travel requirements.

I was looking at Suex XJoy 37 but looking at the battery Li Ion 940WH it would not be transportable by air at all. The FAA regulations state 160Wh as an absolute maximum.

Then I came across the Dive X Cuda 400 which has a Nimh claimed at 400WH which dive x are claiming is able to travel on all airlines.

This is confusing as I've heard stories about people having batteries and even scooters confiscated and destroyed.

Even more confusing I was looking at a lot of couriers and they wouldn't even ship it.

So I'm asking are people out there carrying dpvs as hold luggage on flights.

Should I buy a DPV and keep it UAE and just use it there?

You can carry a fair bit more NiMh onto planes than you can LiXX batteries.

Another option, is to ground ship it (if possible) ahead of time.

Easiest case, have it live in UAE

_R

The Cuda 400 is a good travel option, provided you do a little public relations work with the airline(s) you intend to use. In our experience it really is not as easy as flashing the travel doc that Dive X or Rabbit Tool (battery supplier) offer in front of the check-in counter at the airport. We had to contact our airline and talk to the folks that make the determination as to what gets on the aircraft. We supplied the said travel documentation, but because the specific battery was not on their list of approved, they denied it. Subsequently, with several more of our dive buddies wanting to travel with their scooters, the airline has become a bit more familiar with the item and process - and have since allowed Cuda 400 batteries as carry-on. So while technically Dive X says you can travel with a Cuda battery, you may still have to educate/familiarize the airline to make it so. Incidentally, the Cuda 400 is a great scooter... based on my vast experience of it being the only scooter I've used! ; )

Lee

hi guys,

I love and work in Saudi Arabia and I dive here a lot. However technical diving here is fairly hard to come by.

My wife lives in UAE where there is good technical diving available.

I want to buy a DPV but I'm a little confused about travel requirements.

I was looking at Suex XJoy 37 but looking at the battery Li Ion 940WH it would not be transportable by air at all. The FAA regulations state 160Wh as an absolute maximum.

Then I came across the Dive X Cuda 400 which has a Nimh claimed at 400WH which dive x are claiming is able to travel on all airlines.

This is confusing as I've heard stories about people having batteries and even scooters confiscated and destroyed.

Even more confusing I was looking at a lot of couriers and they wouldn't even ship it.

So I'm asking are people out there carrying dpvs as hold luggage on flights.

Should I buy a DPV and keep it UAE and just use it there?

Hello Dave, the bottom line is there is no clear answer and you will be subject to inconsistent airline rules, luggage inspection rules and the attitude of every employee along the way. Lithium is a non-starter and likely to be restricted entirely in the near future for even modest capacity packs. For your situation and something I recommend to Suex customers; leave the Xjoy37 li-ion pack in the location you are doing most of your long range diving where you need the 3+ hour burn time. Obtain a Nimh kit (battery, charger and salt ballast) and leave that in the other location. Fly with no battery: less hassle, less weight and less risk that someone with a bad attitude and wrong information will confiscate your battery. Place an instruction sheet of some sort with the DPV that explains how to open the nose using the knob (so they do not attempt to pry open with a screwdriver) and protect the handle on the side or remove (only takes a minute to re-attach once you arrive). Good diving in the Fast Lane.

Back
Top Bottom