DPV Workshop Report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

littlemermaid

Registered
Reaction score
I just returned home from an AWESOME weekend in Encenada, Mexico...actually LaBufadora where myself and 2 others (Bill Sullivan and Guy Worth) took part in 5thD-X's DPV workshop with instructor, Andrew Georgitsis (AG), Mr. Video (Mark Hall), and trustee helper (Gina Castillo...who always brings snacks). FUN, FUN, FUN!

We actually spent the first day on land learning about the scooters, breaking them down, care and maintenace, etc plus a powerpoint presentation that discussed multiple aspects of scooter diving that are too numerous to list here.

Then we had a scenic drive caravaning down to Encenada. Once at the dive site, we first had to balance our scooters before starting to practice skills such as matching power, team awareness, turns, tows, left-hand scooter riding, light use... Well that just about wore us out for the day, but we did manage to see some nice kelp forest, anenomes, starfish, and girabaldi. Best of all we had the opportunity to see ourselves on video....enough said, it is such a valuable learning tool.

Following a tasty little breakfast buffet the next morning, we went back to the same gorgeous little cove, reviewed the previous day skills, and then had some real fun...crash control, runaway scooter, S-drills and tows with an out-of-air diver! Luckily we still had enough juice to go play in the kelp, too!

I think we all learned an incredible amount and feel much more comfortable and confident with the scooters...and our teammates on their scooters. Plus I think our "smile" muscles hurt as much as our hands just from the FUN FACTOR! Some pictures should be coming and will be posted on the www.fifthd.com website under international travel...travel 2004 (photo gallery).

If anyone is interested in getting a scooter or has a scooter and just wants to practice some of these skills, this is a great workshop!! You just spend quality time learning skills, practicing, and of course having way too much fun without any pressure to "pass."

TaTa,
E

I had a great time, excellent conditions with sunny days and a great mix of divers. Kennedy's Landing (a divesite in the area that is commonly referred to as Punta Banda or La Bufadora) is a great place to scooter. Easy entry, lots of kelp and rocky reefs with lots of vertical relief to scooter around, over and thru. The experience dive at the end of the second day of diving was a blast, I just wish I had not run out of video tape.

We are working on getting AG scheduled for the next San Diego/Ensenada DPV/Scooter Workshop but looking at his posted schedule it may be September before he has a weekend free :->

Scott - It looks like I will be coming up for the Monterey DPV Workshop.

Enjoy

Marc Hall
www.enjoythedive.com
www.sdue.org

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom