Draeger's reg

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

janapetr

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone got Draeger's Shark regulator? I wonder whether is it that good. Thanks.

janapetr,
First of all, welcome to the boards, it's good to see you jumping in. Now to help you just a little...

There's two different Shark regulators from Dreager. The Eco is a piston 1st but only has 1 HP port, which I don't like. Then there's the Compact which is a membrane 1st, which has 2 HP ports. This is the better of the two.

I haven't tried nor heard of anyone in my area that's tried either of the two. Hope someone else can help you out.

I'm just curious....
What would one use a second HP port for?
Inquiring minds and all that rot...
Rick

Hello Rick, The reason why one would like an additional HP port is as follows:

1. To have both analog gages as well as a dive computer, This provides an added measure of safety and convenience. I hope this answers your question.

rainreg

Hello In answer to the question on Draeger regs I have heard about them and what I know is this:

1. To the best of my knowledge it has a variable IP as depth increases the IP increases,balanced first stage and balanced 2nd, high quality parts and materials, expensive, and has been around since 1994-1995.

(IP) Intermediate Pressure

I'm just curious, are there any regulators that don't increase the IP with depth? I thought is was set to a value (typically 140 psi) relative to the ambient pressure.

Let me explain, most regulators today are designed to maintain a specific IP (130 psi -145psi) the Draeger type first stage increases IP as you go deeper. It starts with 130psi then as you go deeper your IP increases 140, 150, 160. etc. So does that explain the difference between most regs and the Draeger type?

Thanks, I understand. Won't an increasing IP limit choices of second stages? For example, wouldn't an Air II be likely to freeflow?

Ralph

I thought the 2+4 first stage was a piston one, not membrane... There is only one Shark available here and that is the one featured on the German site of Draeger (http://www.draeger.com/german/st/DraegerDive/equipment/neptun/idxshark.htm). For some reason the English page and the German one seem to differ...

I dived with Shark once and I really liked it. But it is quite expensive and I wonder if there are better regulators at that price. I've heard that Mares Abyss is a good one but a bit uncomfortable.

J.

Janapetr,
Perhaps this will help: Draeger

The site is pretty bare, but it does have the info that is referenced in the above mentioned posts. I really can't answer why the German page isn't listing both available versions.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom