Drager FFM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FFMDiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Hello:

Anyone familiar with a FFM by Drager? I saw a picture of one and it had handles on the side...very interesting...

I have not had the chance to try one out yet but in talking with a few who have...

The viewport of the mask is bowed, similar to the Lama helmet. This bowed viewport attempts to off-set the maginfication of the water restoring vision (that is the theory anyway...)

Most folks that have dove the mask said it gave them a feeling of motion sickness.

Not to common in the states here but I would sure like to try one out and draw my own conclusions.

Jeff Lane

Here is a pic.
Draeger is a leader in hazamat protection...and I beleive they make rebreathers.....

How about the Drager Orca w/ panorma vision....

Looking at the 2nd picture. It looks like it could be a freeflow mask. That sounds likely if they are talking about for Hazmat use.

The second pic shows an older model mask. It's been around for a while, though I don't know much about it. Mtndiver might be able to give you some info, he's got one in the dive locker somewhere ... .

The first pic is a new mask, so I haven't seen it yet. Was just introduced last winter. Got a nice pic of it, but that's all. It has three inlets, all of which have the Dräger quick connectors (as used on the Ray SCRs breathing hoses and the Oxygauge's P-connector). Push the red button above the reg and it'll come off. Problem is, you won't fit a regular mouthpiece through the opening,
so a bailout/secondary reg needs to be rigged with the proper fitting. Or can be attached to another opening, much like on the Neptune or SP masks. Third one is for comms. The 'handles' connect to the upper and lower buckles on each side, pull them and they're supposed to release both simultaniously to quickly doff the mask. Don't know if it works, is a good idea or I like it. Sure gotta be ready to take some ' build in handles to throw away' jokes. :D
Little levers on the face shield are for equalizing, you press and they squeeze you nose. Optional honking sound would be nice. :wink:
From what the press release in a German dive mag said, Dräger is planning to make the mask compatible with their RBs, so for Dolphin divers that may be a convinient option.
Don't remember the price, but I believe it was around 800 Euro, as in about 50% more than the AGA and M-48 I like. :D

As an Environmental Health & Safety professional I have worked with a lot of Drager equipment - especially gas monitors - and have found anything the company makes to have sound engineering behind it. Too bad they arent available for a demo here in the US.

bmuise once bubbled...
Too bad they arent available for a demo here in the US.
The German press release had them as the contact, not Aqualung.
Or try comm manufacturers. They usually get their hands on them for engineering and might be able to help out.

Back
Top Bottom