Drager SMT 7000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grouchyturtle

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone have any info on this unit and or some decent pictures?

I'm planning on making the CCR switch within the next year or so.

Doing tons of research right now, and just looking at every unit out there.
The Drager site has very little info on this unit, 1 really bad picture, and apparently they don't answer emails either.

Do you have a link to the picture?

Dräger doesn't sell any mixed gas CCRs afaik, only O2 CCRs (like the LAR V).
They did build and try several prototypes of the SMS2000 in the 90s.
They were huge units, bigger even than the Cis-Lunar.
They never went past the testing prototype stage.

Here is is.

Also, a sign that your website sucks...if after spending damn near a hlaf hour browsing your site, and using the search feature, someone actually has to resort to google to find a page that they already know is on your site!

grunzster:
Also, a sign that your website sucks...
Yep, that's Dräger. I think they make an effort so you can't find anything.
Especially not the stuff they aren't gonna sell you in the first place. :bluthinki

I'm pretty sure the SMT 7000 is a self-mixing SCR, not CCR, and mil/gov only.
SMT is a Selbst Mischendes Tauchgerät (self mixing dive apparatus)

The unit it replaces, the FGT 1 is a late 60's design that uses pre-mixed gases (FGT = Fertig Gas Tauchgerät/pre-mixed gas diving apparatus) and is used by some European EOD divers.

Dräger has been fiddling with self-mixing units for over 40 years.
The SM 1 for example. Looks good, doesn't it.

Not available to the public. :( Not a CCR, anyway. :wink:

If you want a manually controlled CCR, Jetsam can accommodate you.
If you want a manually controlled Dräger, Dolphin, Ray, LAR and FGT units have been converted with KISS valves.

try and RB test dive where you can try diff.ones I have seem them all over. You should find one that fit what kind of dive you want to do. and pick the that works for you. if you and big deep diving250+ I would look at the kiss

Caveseeker,

Thanks for the links! I love the pics of the guy in the shorty wet-suit with the big-oval face mask and the funky fins!

The Art Nouveau gauges are really great as well. :D

Hmm. Not getting any email notifications from this thread for some reason.

Thanks!

Know anything about these guys? Judging from the site looks like they only sell to military too.

Same thing with these guys.

I'm probably just being waaaaaaaaaay too anal. Every company I come across I ad to my list. And then most of them have really bad websites with limited info, and apparently most manufacturers don't reply to emails either.

Indeed both Carleton Technologies and Divex only sell to governments.
Doesn't have to be military, but they will not sell to civillians.
I did get a nice CCBA rebreather t-shirt from Carleton, though. :wink:

Carleton took over the millitary biz from Biomarine, building MK series rebreathers. The MK15 was the military version of the CCR1000 that was sold commercially. Not so the MK16, but several companies built MK15.5, the design that came after the MK16.

For example the SM1600 from Steam Machines. They were build starting in the late 90s till about four years ago. SMI and CarlTech also worked on a newer design (the CCR1000 is 60's vintage, the MK16 about 20 years old). Carleton ended up building the Viper while SMI builds the PRISM Topaz.

They have quite a bit in common, though the PRISM has a larger scrubber and thus longer duration.

Thanks, my list just got much shorter.

Pretty much winding up where I thought it would even before looking at every model on the planet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom