Dream BCD With Superiour Weight System. Is it out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think there are some problems with definitions here.

A "BC" is a device you wear that has a flotation bladder and allows you to compensate for the weight of the air you are going to breathe, and the loss of buoyancy from your exposure protection at depth. BCs come in several different designs -- Jacket BCs have an air bladder that wraps all the way around the diver, so when they are fully inflated, the diver feels a squeeze around his body, and tends to be held up in an upright position on the surface. Back inflate BCs have all the flotation behind the diver. They don't wrap, and don't squeeze. They tend to be less bulky in the front than jackets. Either kind of BC can be had with integrated weights or without them. A backplate and wing is a specific type of back-inflate BC, where the support for the tank is a metal or plastic plate, and there is a separate air bladder, or wing, that is attached to the plate, and a separate harness, that attaches the plate to the diver. This setup can also be assembled with an integrated weight system, although it commonly is not.

If all the weights that are required to sink one's exposure protection are attached to the BC, then you are quite right that anyone removing such a rig will then have to deal with the fact that the rig is now quite negative (since it's not balanced by the neoprene any more) and the diver is quite positive (because he has been deprived of the weight he needs to be neutral). This is one of the reasons that a lot of people prefer NOT to put all the weight on the rig. This can be accomplished by the use of a belt, or a weight harness like the DUI Weight & Trim. The latter leaves you with the possibility to pull weights, rather than drop a belt, but the weight harness is separate from the BC, so you can take the BC off without becoming too positive.

Does this help at all?

If all the weights that are required to sink one's exposure protection are attached to the BC, then you are quite right that anyone removing such a rig will then have to deal with the fact that the rig is now quite negative (since it's not balanced by the neoprene any more) and the diver is quite positive (because he has been deprived of the weight he needs to be neutral). This is one of the reasons that a lot of people prefer NOT to put all the weight on the rig. This can be accomplished by the use of a belt, or a weight harness like the DUI Weight & Trim. The latter leaves you with the possibility to pull weights, rather than drop a belt, but the weight harness is separate from the BC, so you can take the BC off without becoming too positive.

Yes, that actually helps a lot. You quite simply answered my original question with a possible solution. Thank you.
I will check out the DUI Weight and Trim. I have the two Zeagles on the way. I picked up a pocket belt for my son. I had the guy swap the AIR2 off my sons BC and put it on mine, and send me a spare hose (now that I know what an AIR2 is) in case I want to take it off.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 01:37 PM ----------

The DUI seems like it would be too bulky under a BC, but I am liking that for Dry Suit Dives. I will pick up two of them when my son has to do his open waters using a dry suit. Thanks!

I have been picking my stuff up gently used at http://www.discountdivers.com

Anyone have anything bad or good to say about them?

I am looking to upgrade my BCD to a Wing but I would like to be able to take off my BC and Tank underwater while still breathing on my reg.
Is my dream Wind BCD out there?
Is there a better weight system than the belt without involving the BC?

I want enough weight still on my body to stay down if BCD is removed.
I also want the weight to be quickly dumped for safety.
I would like to have better distribution of my weight
Can I have everything I want in a weight system?

Anyone have a recommended solution to my issue?
TAT
Maybe a sidemount system?

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 11:52 AM ----------

OK... so I was in a cave in Fiji diving at the University of Fiji off of Truvuni about 12 years back and I went in a nice size cave with my buddy. Problem was there was a big nurse shark (15 ft) in there. Well he couldn't get out with us between him and his exit so he went up and hit the ceiling of the cave, and a bunch of rock came down. He made it past us, but now, we could not get out of the cave with our rigs on. So we had to ditch our BCDs, move some rock, and pull them behind us to get out. I was using a weight belt so it was no issue then.

So the question is asked from experience not from ignorance, but you would not know that so no harm. I dove professionally before that in the military. I haven't hit blue water in years, just some spear fishing and collecting some gulf stream spin outs from gyres out where I am on the island now.

I was looking at upgrading to a wing BCD and buying right the first time for my son who I am just starting out. I am trying to learn the new gear and upgrade my old school ways for his sake, but I am not forsaking safety for comfort. BCDs with pocket weights clipped in like the Scuba Pro are just plain stupid IMO.

So I am looking at a Zeagle Ranger with an Air2 on it for my son, and an Zeagle Tech for me. Do you think these are good choices for what I want in a weight system????

Please tell me if you think I am making a mistake here, cause I have to pay for them tomorrow????
Right now they are just set aside for me. Both are gently used and the price is right. I could wait for a different wing if I needed to. Especially on the XL Tech.

These Zeagles are plate compatible????, but unless I am taking a two tank dive, do I really want a 6 pound SS plate to distribute my weight?
How about to travel with.
And this is why you don't go into any overhead environment-cave, cavern, wreck, school bus, anything, until you are trained and equipped. You are very, very lucky to still be alive.
Even military training doesn't teach you you special procedures needed to survive a cave, although you are very much ahead of the usual diver. Unfortunately, there seem to be more people in the highly experienced but not overhead trained that are likely to get into trouble. Recently, a PADI instructor and his two kids came incredibly close to dying in a cave. They were saved by a local hero and a lot of luck.

---------- Post added June 27th, 2013 at 12:03 PM ----------

I guess I could just stay stupid, use a weight belt and not ask. Probably wouldn't be dodging bullets if I did though...<sic>
Experience tells me I should find a board and ask before I buy... <did you see that one?>

---------- Post added June 25th, 2013 at 07:55 PM ----------

I was only concerned that if the BC now has all the weight in it. When I take it off am I going to float up? vs. having the weight on my belt. I have never dove with a BC where it also integrates the weight.
I understand I can still drop the weight.
But what happens if I take it off and I am only in a skin now?
Just figured I would ask before I spent $1000.
I would like to be able to take off my rig and still stay sitting on the bottom.
I guess I didn't make that clear. Sorry.
How much experience do you have again? These seem like awfully basic questions for somebody thinking about squeezing through restrictions.

Sailor,
If you didn't get this figured out yet, PM me and we can talk offline. Im an old fart too and just upgraded to Zeagle. We can discuss my rig and how it works for me at my age, how I set it up for control, and the weight belt I use as a second. And I wont bitch you out for past experiences.. lol:no:
DD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom