Dream Location To Teach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I used to live in Honduras, and did commercial diving work based on the mainland, Puerto Cortes. Utila is my favorite of the three main Bay Islands, and the diving is generally excellent on a Caribbean scale. For re-training you will find much good and little bad on Utila. The country as a whole is in a major crisis due to gang related violence. I would not recommend travel to the mainland unless you are very familiar with where you are going and whom you are going with. Occasionally the violence does spill over to the islands.

I can't really comment on the work visa issue, as I was a resident when I lived there (one of myriad benefits of having a Honduran wife).

Last edited:
Still weighing all options. What I seek from you guys now, has to do with the Philippines, specifically, Malapascua. Looking at 2 PADI training facilities and would like your personal recommendations on each dive shop. Not necessarily IDC data, just what you think of the shop/people/etc.

My shops of interest are:
Exotic Island Dive Resort
and
Thresher Shark Divers

You can PM me if you prefer to not post for everyone to see.

The costs are similar to each other, with TSD being slightly cheaper, but Exotic includes room and lunch for the duration of the IDC/IE program. TSD is more responsive to inquiries, but that may not be anything more than someone having a really busy week.

I have not ruled Utila out yet, just trying to narrow the field to make the final choice as easy as possible.

Thank you for your time,
Michael

Both Exotic and TSD are established and with good reputation.
Your only concern is the subsequent employment and working permit.

Good luck.

Your only concern is the subsequent employment and working permit.

There is some truth to this statement, but both shops advertise assistance in developing an effective CV, both offer employment advice, and both claim to have worldwide diving shop contacts. Pretty much what every IDC facility in the world will offer. Advice and expertise, but no guarantees. And, of course they would offer no more. They don't know me from Adam.

Michael

All these advice, assistance, contact, expertise and whatnot count to nothing if you cannot get a job at the end of your course.
They could be firing blanks!
I dived and travelled a lot in the country over last 18yrs and seldom met newly qualified ex-pat instructor over the period. I am not saying it is not possible but..

I dived and travelled a lot in the country over last 18yrs and seldom met newly qualified ex-pat instructor over the period. I am not saying it is not possible but..

But what? What are you saying here? You seem to be harboring some resentment for what I am planning. I got certified in Thailand 10 years ago and then taught there for 2 years. I met PLENTY of ex-pat instructors. I am familiar with the industry. I am somewhat familiar with the industry in Asia. I am not looking for a guaranteed job that will support me for the rest of my working life. I am not asking for a job here at all. I am asking for opinions on 2 dive training centers.

I really don't get what you are trying to say here. Just come out and say it instead of tip-toeing around the issue.

Michael

Firstly, I would like your honest opinions on the realistic possibilities of a 55 year old American being able to support himself by teaching diving in Thailand, or anywhere else in the world, at the present time.
But you did not like my answer about getting a job in Philippines.
BTW, why should I have any resentment towards your goal? It doesn't affect me a bit if you managed to land a job or not.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom