Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up past the third dock to the east on the north side of Wallace. The boat never saw my marker. The home owner was kind enough to come out and offer to get in his boat and go fetch the dive boat -- which he did.

By the way, Larry and I found the can a day after the CCG misdropped it. Tom Scott actually witnessed it go plunk. We were on Tom's boat with Ryan at the helm. I normally use 21/35 on the dive, but that day I was using 21/19 leftovers. We ran into the chain. I was thinking, "Geez! I must be narced. I never saw a chain here before." My END was about 130 feet on that mix at the bottom. We followed the chain. Lo and behold a new green channel marker! Ryan called Tom to tell him we had found the buoy and he said we must have found the marker that was lost the previous day.

In that case, they encountred some kind of a swirling current that threw them around and separated them a bit in depth. That ended quickly, though. They made eye contact with each other, and the husband figured all was well. He took his eyes off of her to tend to somethings, looked back, and she was gone.

The consensus was that she likely died from the after effects from falling off one of her show horses a few days prior, with severe hidden head trauma. Doctors are notorious for being poor patients as they always know best...they're doctors after all, right ? ...so she didn't get herself examined and checked out after the fall, assumed she was all right, and likely fell victim to the hidden damage from the fall. It's a bit of a stretch to say she was a victim of 'dangerous currents diving'.

I think fisherdvm is a divemaster candidate that is practicing his skills on SB.

'divemaster' is a pompous title...all too many are just products of the 'zero to hero' quickie classes with minimal real world diving experience. I'll take real world experience any day over over a 'University of Phoenix' style cyber-diver where '10 minutes @ 15 ft in a pool' counts as a 'dive' in their log book for course credit. Take a few trips out to places like the Socorros or the Texas Flower Gardens and you'll grow up real fast! Current diving is no big deal once you've experienced enough of it to learn your real world lessons, including operating under ugly/severe conditions. I've always considered Cozumel current diving to be very easy/tame compared to advanced sites like the Flower Gardens (TX).

Take a few trips out to places like the Socorros or the Texas Flower Gardens and you'll grow up real fast!

Would that be flower power? I'm sorry. I just had to ...

By the way, Larry and I found the can a day after the CCG misdropped it. Tom Scott actually witnessed it go plunk. We were on Tom's boat with Ryan at the helm. I normally use 21/35 on the dive, but that day I was using 21/19 leftovers. We ran into the chain. I was thinking, "Geez! I must be narced. I never saw a chain here before." My END was about 130 feet on that mix at the bottom. We followed the chain. Lo and behold a new green channel marker! Ryan called Tom to tell him we had found the buoy and he said we must have found the marker that was lost the previous day.
How long ago was that, Trace? Great story!

Rivers flow in 1 direction. There is only one vector. Not 3.
As a regular diver in the St Lawrence, I can say that the river doesn't just flow in one direction. Water, like wind, changes flow with the topography. There are sites I dive regularly where you can easily go from strong current to slack, where you can experience up and down currents, back currents, dead spots, eddies... Changing your depth changes the current you are in. Moving out from a wall changes the current.

River diving is not just a simple unidirectional flow.

How long ago was that, Trace? Great story!

That's a good question. Going back more than a couple of years. This might sound funny, but I reference time based upon who I was dating at the time. I don't remember if it was my current girlfriend (5 or 6 years together) or my ex-girlfriend (4 or 5 years together before that). What I do remember is that it was the only season I dove late enough that Tom moved the boat to Brockville's waterfront so it may have sunk in October or November? Tom may have had both boats at the time? Larry and I were also the last two divers to charter that season and we did the King in the morning and Tom and Ryan took the boat to its winter home. I cannot remember if that was the dive we found the buoy or if it was a revisit. Alex was still working on the boat rather than at Dive Tech. All I remember was the narcky surprise and being told we were the first to see it on the bottom.

For the record, today was a perfect day for drift diving around the Pompano area. Current was hardly enough to achieve forward progress.
Actually was great in almost every sense, seas were flat at mid morning (build to maybe 2' early pm) water temp in the low 80's and enough lobsters for dinner with leftovers for tomorrow. Visibility wasn't great but enough for me to see around.
Couldn't imagine a more relaxing way to make a Sunday dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom