Drift diving is NOT so relaxing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've heard of people that share their life with non-divers but I don't quite see it. The ones I know end up bartering or hiding their diving trips or purchases.
I couldn't, there's enough give and take with life in general, not sure a non- diver could understand the financial allocation for diving. Probably worse the time allocation, being unavailable on weekends if the seas are less than 3 feet, or using 75 to 100% of any free time for diving or diving related activities.

I share life with a non diving spouse and for now I try to dive on my days off during the week. And weekends are for us. But even still some weekends she tells me I should go diving. She knows it’s very relaxing and keeps me happy (not that she doesn’t) and sometimes will snorkel with me but not often. Plus she bought/helped alleviate some of my buying so she knows how much money I spend diving and everything else is paid for so it’s all good.

Not only does she put up with diving/snorkeling she also deals with my fishing which can sometimes cost more.

Reactions: Ana
@stuartv and I just did the Lillie Parsons 1/2 mile long drift with his friend Ivan in the 1000 Islands.

... and it was awesome!! What was to stress about. Float. Inhale. Exhale. Relax. And watch the rocks and wreck debris go RIPPING by... What a sweet dive! Wreck penetration and a rippin' drift all in one dive.

I enjoy fairly strong current drift dives. I think I am relaxed and don't fin much during these dives. I like being the "trailer" of group so I don't get ahead and have plenty of time to duck behind something when I need to. When I down load my dives, using an AI computer, I am always surprised to find my SAC is little higher when currents are stronger. I don't feel I am finning more but I guess I am. Anyone else see this?

I've caught myself using more air because of inadvertently fighting the current in one way or another.

I enjoy fairly strong current drift dives. I think I am relaxed and don't fin much during these dives. I like being the "trailer" of group so I don't get ahead and have plenty of time to duck behind something when I need to. When I down load my dives, using an AI computer, I am always surprised to find my SAC is little higher when currents are stronger. I don't feel I am finning more but I guess I am. Anyone else see this?

I do also. When I encounter currents too strong to comfortably decide my course, I take the opportunity to go for speed, make sure everything is tucked away and fin as hard as I can, every few minutes stop finning and just glide, I definitely use more gas, and is so worth it.

If I am cruising the River bottom, it can get a little dicey dodging boulders (some the size of cars and larger). The strength of the current can also put you in odd positions causing some "anxiety". It can, and will impact my breathing rate....

Our last trip, I actually got "stuck" in a significant eddy. I was actually being pushed back up current, and downward... quite perplexing.

When the current is brisk, you need to make more course corrections to stay on route. Depending on the direction, you may be getting pulled off or onto the reef and must swim against that. Of course, all this may be exacerbated if you are carrying a flag. If you want to slow down or stop to look at something, you will be swimming against the current. I have a small, one-pronged hook on my reel for when the current is running

Reefs is static. It runs north and south, or east and west. Current is not. And wind is not. Now you have 3 vectors - 1. The divers who want to follow the reef. 2. The current that wants to carry the divers. and 3. The wind that wants to carry the flag.

Unless all 3 are along the same direction... drift diving is not as simple as drifting with the current.

Next... you add moving unanchored boats ...
Next ... you add waves, rigid dive ladder, losing a fin while you try to hand it on deck...
Next ... you add low on air or out of air
Next... you add surfacing without a dive flag and without a surface marker device....

I'm about to head out to BC for my annual week of diving in Browning Pass. This area has a tidal range of up to 18', so currents are a big thing. When Great Lakes divers come for the first time, it does take them a couple of days to get the hang of things. I always encourage them to simply accept that they're going where the water wants them to, so get used to it and enjoy the ride.

The last three items you ist there have nothing to do with drift diving, and everything to do with being a crappy diver. Currents will certainly help to separative the "men from the boys" (or the female equivalent). It's hard to be a good drift diver if you aren't already a competent diver. In BC, we often run into bits of mandatory deco, so holding a stop while you're smoking along at about 4 knots is a challenge. Fortunately, bull kelp can make a fine upline.

I agree though, a course specifically geared towards area of high flow diving would be helpful, even if it's just a discussion of some of the tricks of the trade and a reminder that otherwise simple tasks can be amplified when diving in moving water.

If I am cruising the River bottom, it can get a little dicey dodging boulders (some the size of cars and larger). The strength of the current can also put you in odd positions causing some "anxiety". It can, and will impact my breathing rate....

Our last trip, I actually got "stuck" in a significant eddy. I was actually being pushed back up current, and downward... quite perplexing.

When diving with Stuart and Ivan, I turned back from checking to see if they were doing okay to encounter a giant towering boulder in front of me. I tried swimming toward the channel to pass it, but it was too late. I put a hand out to push off when I hit it. I thought I'd push away then pass it on the channel side. Whoosh! Updraft! I hummed into my regulator and inverted to dump gas from my doubles wing as I rose fast and passed over it. Fun dive, but a few moments to keep you on your toes. I hate eddies. Deeper than 80 feet here and you pass beneath them as you drift from island to island. Above 50 and you need to use your compass to break free. I love going up in the 1000 Islands Tower on Hill Island in Canada. From 400 feet you can study water's movement through all of those islands around Ivy Lea. Eddies galore. Impressive spectacle of nature's power.

Here is what it looked like to "get caught"....

We were exiting a trench (high pressure gas line crossing) of calmer water, then you accelerate as you go back into the flow. From there, the back eddy of the rock and the trench grabbed me. the clicking is my reel letting out line as the float (and buddy on it) are peeled off with the moving current above. Notice how the algae reverses, and all the exhalation bubbles are torn apart and are going every which way.... FUN!

gL_KLwN0RAw

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom