Drift diving ruin a marriage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The women I dive with get 60 mins dive time on less than half a tank, on a max 90 foot depth dive, but usually either get cold or need to use the head and are fussy about just going in their wetsuits. Tell her the water temps are high 80s and she only needs a shorty or get her to drink a lot of fluids. If neither of those work, remember Its important to do a buddy check. Just before splashing in, turn her air on and depress her second stage to make sure its flowing...if you kind of casually stop the runaway flow, you're only just making sure her air is on.

63 for her, 80 for me, works out pretty well, we are usually within a couple hundred psi of each other. anything over 65-70 minutes and she's tucked up in the fetal position shivering and I'm dragging her around like a bizarre Thanksgiving day parade float.

Have done a few drift dives on the outside of Molasses. Were either on a six pack with just a few dives or on Ocean Divers with just two of us.

Look at the bright side. You can happily suck your air knowing that your pony with your extra air is swimming next to you without you having to carry anything.

Hold her tank and let her drag you around for half a dive. If she has an octo holder, unclip it and breathe from it.
Many years ago I dived in Fiji for a day on a boat full of vacationing professionals from New Zealand. One of them was a very overweight dive shop owner who did not have anything near the breathing rate of the others. Before our first dive of the day, someone joked with me about watching out for my alternate if he was nearby. On the two dives we did, I saw what he meant. He would very carefully come up behind an unsuspecting diver, reach carefully around, take the alternate, breathe off of it for a few minutes, and then carefully leave it to dangle. I saw it happen twice, and both times the "donating" diver was unaware of the theft.

I’m already jealous......
I think you married a mermaid,,,,,lucky guy !!

I think that some of you took my post a tad too seriously. I tried to give a hint with the community forum chosen. The marriage is strong. I am incredibly fortunate and thankful. She deserves better but she tolerates me. She has had esteem issues for many years so I love it when she "berates" me with her SPG readings. The berating part is accurate but it is dang good for her so I like acting appalled because she gets a kick out of it. I also try to whine theatrically at the dive shop. Amazingly enough they always take her side. :)

For those that were willing to throw her under the bus in the spirit intended, I appreciate the solidarity! I like the thought of holding onto her tank/reg for a free ride.

I did breath off of her tank at the end of a dive because we were trying ti hit a time goal and we were at the "exit" platform. I would struggle to breath off of her tank in the middle of a dive. Just seems that a reserve is a reserve, even if it comes with mocking. I could breath off of her again towards the end in a situation I thought was fairly controlled. Time for an AL100! or two or three.

Many years ago I dived in Fiji for a day on a boat full of vacationing professionals from New Zealand. One of them was a very overweight dive shop owner who did not have anything near the breathing rate of the others. Before our first dive of the day, someone joked with me about watching out for my alternate if he was nearby. On the two dives we did, I saw what he meant. He would very carefully come up behind an unsuspecting diver, reach carefully around, take the alternate, breathe off of it for a few minutes, and then carefully leave it to dangle. I saw it happen twice, and both times the "donating" diver was unaware of the theft.

I don't know if I should like this or not!

Time for an AL100! or two or three.

Personally anHP100 is much better for 5'7" me. The AL100 is a big tank. HP100 is as smaller tank with as much air given you can get HP fills which I am always able to. Note that AL 80 is only around 77 so moving up to a true 100 is more than 25% more air.

I’ll ask around about the availability of HP fills. I know the dive shop does them but I’d want to know about the local quarries and lake sites.

I admit a bit of hesitancy for steel tanks but I also admit it is from ignorance and unfamiliarity. I could probably dive with zero extra weight with a steel, which is kind of cool. I have a buddy with an LP steel. I may need to borrow it just to play with buoyancy and see if I like it. The LP is BIG but it would give me the feel for weighting. If I like it, I could look into the HP tanks.

Back
Top Bottom