DIR- Generic Drinking the DIR koolaid

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

True, and the GUE folks I dive with on rec dives all "dive their computers" and not tables, so maybe I am exaggerating things.

I think the fact that the topic of GUE's stance on computers comes up frequently on SB shows that it could be articulated in their written materials a little better. Maybe they haven't devoted the time to that because out in the real world it doesn't seem to matter--for every person like gobuyastick's inflexible dive buddy, there is someone like the GUE folks you dive with on rec dives. It's mostly here in the online world that it's somehow an issue. :)

Its really tempting to want to buy a wrist-mount depth guage and use my dive watch as a bottom timer. Its cheaper than a computer and its obviously recommended by GUE to use tables over computer. I'm still going to get a computer eventually. I just want to pull the pin on that grenade after I feel 100% proficient with tables and deco. I see and understand both sides of the argument. If you've read the Dune franchise then the argument against reliance upon "thinking machines" makes total sense: computers have the potential of taking a vital part away from the thinking diver. Note: have the potential, not the guarantee. Its for this reason that I think more organizations should push for students using the tables and guages and then buying computer way later after proficiency is gained.

The world has passed this by long ago . . . You are not getting an advantage by waiting and learning tables for rec diving. That is a great educational exercise but an obsolete skill, even unnecessary. The real time tracking of a dive computer is faster, more accurate, less stressful, and MUCH less prone to error than table planning. This comes from me, who dove tables from 1976 until 2010 when I got my first computer, and immediately saw how much superior computer diving was.

The world has passed this by long ago . . . You are not getting an advantage by waiting and learning tables for rec diving. That is a great educational exercise but an obsolete skill, even unnecessary. The real time tracking of a dive computer is faster, more accurate, less stressful, and MUCH less prone to error than table planning. This comes from me, who dove tables from 1976 until 2010 when I got my first computer, and immediately saw how much superior computer diving was.
If you don’t learn the skill by doing it you’ll never gain said skill.

You had decades of tables diving under your belt. If you didn’t and went straight to a computer you’d be just like tons of Divers (and many on SB) who can’t use tables effectively.

What about the other two?

Computers dying isn’t a reason to learn to use a timer, what if your timer dies?
Ok you know what I mean. We’re on the same page. This was not said the best way possible. Read my earlier post (long one). You should know how to use a timer and once you do, use a computer. I think we’re in agreement here.

If you don’t learn the skill by doing it you’ll never gain said skill.

You had decades of tables diving under your belt. If you didn’t and went straight to a computer you’d be just like tons of Divers (and many on SB) who can’t use tables effectively.

Pretty much what I was going to say.

I dove with a GUE technical and cave instructor today. We both used our computers for deco. We also both knew how much deco we were going to have before we got into the water so that if we had a computer failure, we could have still done our deco.

Well I'm about to pull the pin on the April 22nd fundies class. I imagine lots of prep ahead.
Read the material. Practice the swim test. Don’t try to learn the core material on your own. It’s hard to get right without instruction (and youtube isn’t instruction), and doing it wrong multiple times makes it harder to ingrain how to do it correctly.

Well I'm about to pull the pin on the April 22nd fundies class. I imagine lots of prep ahead.
You may want to subscribe to GUE TV to expose you to the details of the course. You can get a free 3-day subscription.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom