DRIS 1000 lumen LED light as primary dive light

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drinksfromtap

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I'm considering, among other options, getting a DRIS 1000 lumen light as a primary for recreational night dives and peeking into nooks and crannies during the day. The vast majority of my diving will be done between Jupiter and Key Largo, FL at depths between 15 and 70 feet (tending to be more toward the shallow end, at least for now). If you've used this light under similar conditions, what has you're experience been? Does it have a decent spill or is it too much of a "light saber"? Have any of you found it too bright for these conditions? I did my AOW night dive with a princeton tec Miniwave (390 lumen pistol-grip style LED light) and was seeing well with the light on its low setting, so I'm a little concerned that the 1000 lumen may be too bright for conditions. Then again, vis was pretty good when I did that dive. Also, have any of you tried using rechargeable NiMH batteries with this light and, if so, what sort of burn time did you get compared to standard alkaline batteries?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

~Matt

Will make a good primary light until you decide you need a different kind of primary then it makes the perfect back up......

I have been using 4 modified DRIS 1000lumen lights for video. (and have taken them night diving)

I have been using Tenergy 5000 mAH NiMH batteries and am getting about an hour and a half to two hours useable time. With Alkalines I was getting about 5 hours.

It definitely has a tight beam. I did some night diving in Bonaire with it and loved it.

If you're using it to look in places it will be fine. It does wash out video & photography.

I've used it as a primary and like it, although its would be nice to have some sort of holder for it. I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it. I should put a strap or something on it. Now that I have a can light my DRIS lights are backups.

I'm always afraid I'm going to drop it. I should put a strap or something on it. Now that I have a can light my DRIS lights are backups.

I leave mine clipped to the shoulder D ring and aim it where I want. No worries about dropping it because it is clipped off. I just pull it out from under the tire inner tube that holds it tight to my body for storage.

I use the DRIS 1000 as my primary and it has a great balance for beam and flood. My Hollis 5W LED on the other hand has a spec of 8 deg which is like a narrow light saber and that has been relegated as my backup. I love the DRIS 1000, great bang for the buck, and bright too. The light worked very well in the cenotes in the Yucatan, Mexico.

I leave mine clipped to the shoulder D ring and aim it where I want. No worries about dropping it because it is clipped off. I just pull it out from under the tire inner tube that holds it tight to my body for storage.

Thats what I found myself doing just this last weekend during a daytime canyon dive in La Jolla...
If it was a night dive though would imagine ide be holding it, im scared of the dark.... ; )

It is a very good light especially for its cost. Beam wise, it is not the narrowest out there, but still quite useful for signaling. It is definitely too narrow for video light if without diffusor. For day time dive, the more light, the better because for light to be effective, it should over power ambient light. In this sense, I prefer light brighter than dris1000, but it will cost signifiantly more. For night dive, DRIS1000 put out more than enough light, maybe too much some time.

Overall it is a good light. It can be your primary for now and backup in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom