Driving a vehicle from San Antonio area to Tulum Mexico

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be curious where your friend was working. That is a stereotyped Hollywood and US media view of Mexico but in most places totally unnecessary. Outside the half-dozen biggest cities and some of the small cartel towns hidden in the mountains, Mexico is perfectly safe and filled with wonderful, gracious people.
Lol, I was going to type the exact....

The route shows Armadillo Texas as the closest to Oklahoma. Thanks for the offer. Planning on a serious feed of Texas BBQ!!

No trip through Amarillo would be complete without a stop at The Big Texan. Steaks aren't bad, but their big claim to fame is if you can eat a huge steak ( almost 5 pounds I think)with all the sides in an hour, it is free.

You have to eat it at this elevated table with the whole restaurant watching you. There is a bucket next to the table for obvious reasons.

If you're going through Austin, Salt Lick BBQ in Buda is pretty good. There is better BBQ in Austin, but you have to wait in line for hours for it....and they run out.

Safe travels,
Jay

I have driven from San Antonio to many parts of Mexico on numerous occasions, but I might be a little hesitant to do so again. It's getting pretty iffy in certain parts of the country. The other thing is that it's a very long way through some pretty remote terrain, nothing like driving to the DF region. I have lots of Mexican friends in Monterrey, Saltillo, and other cities in northern mexico that avoid driving in the remote areas near the border.

I guess if you speak Spanish and could research it well, you might have a fun time. I would plan on getting lost at least a few times. I would definitely buy insurance in San Antonio, and make sure your cell phone will work in MX.

The route that comes up in Apple maps is...
San Antonio - Reynosa - Tampico - Veracruz - Coatzacoalcos - Chetumal - Tulum.
Looks like it should be a nice drive. But it is Mexico and I could easily be wrong.

thats the route we used years ago though you could go via Merida instead of going through
Chet. Basics stick on main roads do
The route that comes up in Apple maps is...
San Antonio - Reynosa - Tampico - Veracruz - Coatzacoalcos - Chetumal - Tulum.
Looks like it should be a nice drive. But it is Mexico and I could easily be wrong.
nt drive at night. Be sure there is good security where you overnight.

thats the route we used years ago though you could go via Merida instead of going through
Chet. Basics stick on main roads do

nt drive at night. Be sure there is good security where you overnight.
Will do. Thanks

My main concern would be how do you blend in?
In the case of the two Aussie surfers I am certain they would of stuck out and been easily spotted as tourists, thus becoming easy targets

I can’t speak for the northern part of the trip, but I drove Mexico City - Playa del Carmen in March. My route went very close to Veracruz, then around the gulf through Coatzacoalcos, Villahermosa - and then through Ciudad del Carmen to Mérida instead of Chetumal. The roads for most of the trip are very good, at least two lanes in each direction until you reach Villahermosa.

Then it gets a bit rough, just one lane and patches of so-so road. You’ll have to drive slower until after Champotón. The roads then become very well maintained again in the states of Yucatán and Quintana Roo (this is the downside of going through Chetumal, some smaller and poorly maintained stretches if you go south of Villahermosa).

As for safety, at least on the main roads it all feels quite safe. You see plenty of families with fully packed cars doing that route. After Veracruz you just have to make sure you don’t go into Guachicolero areas which can be sketchy, but the road is scenic and safe. There’s even diving under an off-shore oil rig from Veracruz if you overnight there, and some smaller beach towns in Tampico on the way.

I overnighted in Ciudad del Carmen. It is a very ugly oiling town, nothing to see there but plenty of Holiday Inn type hotels to stay in. Safe, cheap and comfortable enough for a night. Leaves just a 9 hour stretch to get to Tulúm the following day.

I can’t speak for the boarder and the area north of Veracruz, but this last part is nothing to fear. Pretty cool trip, actually!
Hope that helps!

My main concern would be how do you blend in?
In the case of the two Aussie surfers I am certain they would of stuck out and been easily spotted as tourists, thus becoming easy targets
Driving a Ram 1500 should be ok.
Will have Alberta plates. Not so good.

It’s an absolutely amazing drive. I suggest going slow and taking in the sites a bit. I did north Florida to tulum in 5 dayside couple years ago, and my biggest regret was not taking 2-3 weeks for the trip instead.

a quick google search will give you all
The info you need about securing a Temporary Import Permit (super quick online registration, they mail you the sticker or you can pick it up at the border), as well as links to insurance providers. There no issue having foreign plates as long as you have all your paperwork squared away.

Stay off the coast, and don’t drive at night, you’ll have a great time. It’s a well traveled route and is very safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom