"Drop Foot" and scuba diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

banjoman1948

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I had a back injury last August that resulted in a "drop foot" in my right leg which means I'm not able to walk on my right heel or lift my right foot up at the heel. I had back surgery in September to alleviate the pressure on the nerve causing the problem. The nerve was badly bruised and may take months to heal, if it heals at all.

The surgeon gave me permission to swim in a pool. I swam using a snorkel and fins, but had difficulty finning since my right foot had no strength.

Is there anyone out there who had an experience with this condition, and how did it affect your diving? Thanks.

Sorry That I'm so Late replying here. I've been pretty lax about checking the board here lately.

I'm opperating off of the assumption that you are utilizing some sort of AFO (ankle foot orthosis) to assist with your drop foot while walking. It would be relatively simple to modify an off the shelf, posterior leaf spring AFO to keep your foot at the 45 degree fin angle for diving. These off the shelf devices are relatively cheap and can generally be modified with a heat gun and some shears. Any decent, and honest, Orthotist should be able to fix you up in short order.

Good Luck.. . .

I have drop foot in my left leg, the result of a B12 deficiency. When I was first diagnosed, I could not walk on my tip-toes or heels at all. I had alot of pain in my calf also. That was caused by muscular atrophy from loss of nerve function and therefore lose of muscle movements. I was disheartened.
About 1 1/2 months ago I began finning 1 mile to 2 kilometers per day using either IST Rockets, or Hollis F1's. About a week ago I added 1.5lb ankle weights as well. My calf muscle has responded well, and while I am still unable to walk on my heels, I can now stand on them which was impossible 6 weeks ago. Also, I can walk on my tip toes.
After my finning I leave my fins on and do 3 sets of twenty ankle pivots, raising my toes as fast and with as much force as possible up and down. At first it was very very hard and even painful. But, after a couple weeks I came to enjoy the challenge. Now, I have much more power. It has been very helpful for me.
I had this problem without having seen a doctor for some time and it never effected my diving. After being diagnosed I have continued to dive and still no problem. I make sure I am at peak hydration before the dive to avoid cramps, and train my leg and calf muscles with vigor 4-5 days a week. I hope in another months I will be able to take a couple steps on my heels. The key thing is that you have got to work the crap out of your calf muscles for them to respond. I'm only 43 and finding I had this damage along with osteoarthritis in my left knee had me very angry, so I am burning it off at the gym. Hope for continued improvement, but if not, I still have made my foot much better already.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom