Dropped belt on first immersion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've just finished the owd and four immersions (thus my arrival to the forums). However, many years ago I did one immersion with my father and my sister (in a larger group) without receiving any previous training.

At that time, I did apnea crossbow fishing (I don't know the english terms) so I did know my way underwater, but nothing about the scuba equipment.

After about 20 minutes of immersion, at about 12m. I lost my belt. As I had no training at all with the jacket, I didn't really know what to do when I started going up. The only option that came to my mind was to put myself head down in a descending position, swim down against the lifting jacket and grab my sister's belt. She then grabbed someone else (I think it was my father) and someone gave me my belt back.

It's now, many years later, that I think about that day. I am amazed nothing worse happened. At that time I could hold my breath for more than a couple minutes, but I'm pretty sure nobody had told me not to do that when going up. So had the the problem be with the regulator, I'd have simply swim to the surface and probably hurt my lungs.

The thing that amazes me the most is: I knew the belt was broken. The buckle released itself a dozen times before. I simply put it back each time and didn't pay much attention to it. I had no idea how much would the suit and the jacket push me up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom