Drowning: A peaceful way to go?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If I had to go. Let it be in the dentists chair. Some Nitrous flowing. Oops mixture a little too lean. And then....
Nurse screaming!!! Dentist frantically calling his wife to hide assets from lawsuit that is surely coming! Victim floating silently above thinking, “I should not have touched that knob...”

I witnessed a racoon drown last summer. It was ghastly. It is not a good way to die. That racoon did not want to die and was fighting with every ounce of energy it could muster.

Drowning? No way, not for me. One of my ponies travels with me on every dive trip. I dive self-reliant on every dive with or without a buddy. I am my buddies best wingman if they let me; if I have a problem we both abort and I make the surface on my own gear, if I can.

Drown or chamber ride? If need be, I will ditch every piece of dive gear I have in order to avoid drowning and will be praying for a chamber ride; the chamber ride means I am still alive. If performing a CESA, I will exhale enough to avoid AGE that I might cough up a lung.:facepalm:

No drowning for me.:no:

markm

In my (very limited) experience, hypoxia is the way to go if you want painless. In my incident, the last thing I remember was thinking “I should go get back on the boat!” And then I was gone. The next thing I knew I was on the boat deck, all of my gear was off, people were jamming oxygen down me as fast as they could, and I honestly thought I was still in bed.

Had they not pulled me out of the water in time, I wouldn’t have known about it.

If I’m ever told I have 6 weeks to live, in 5 weeks I’ll be on an island with my rebreather. My last dive will be a nice long one, on a new scrubber with a full O2 bottle. Once the O2 runs out, I’ll let the loop go hypoxic and that will be that. Hopefully I’ll be on a nice deep wall and I can get to a place where no one will have to recover my body.

In my (very limited) experience, hypoxia is the way to go if you want painless. In my incident, the last thing I remember was thinking “I should go get back on the boat!” And then I was gone. The next thing I knew I was on the boat deck, all of my gear was off, people were jamming oxygen down me as fast as they could, and I honestly thought I was still in bed.

Had they not pulled me out of the water in time, I wouldn’t have known about it.

If I’m ever told I have 6 weeks to live, in 5 weeks I’ll be on an island with my rebreather. My last dive will be a nice long one, on a new scrubber with a full O2 bottle. Once the O2 runs out, I’ll let the loop go hypoxic and that will be that. Hopefully I’ll be on a nice deep wall and I can get to a place where no one will have to recover my body.
What, and waste a perfectly good set of Scuba gear?

I witnessed a racoon drown last summer. It was ghastly. It is not a good way to die. That racoon did not want to die and was fighting with every ounce of energy it could muster.

Drowning? No way, not for me. One of my ponies travels with me on every dive trip. I dive self-reliant on every dive with or without a buddy. I am my buddies best wingman if they let me; if I have a problem we both abort and I make the surface on my own gear, if I can.

Drown or chamber ride? If need be, I will ditch every piece of dive gear I have in order to avoid drowning and will be praying for a chamber ride; the chamber ride means I am still alive. If performing a CESA, I will exhale enough to avoid AGE that I might cough up a lung.:facepalm:

No drowning for me.:no:

markm

Just an aside . . .why didn't you help the racoon and also, was it on the surface or at depth?

That racoon did not want to die and was fighting with every ounce of energy it could muster.

That's my plan, I've used that strategy before and got lucky, and I'll do it again if I have to.

Bob

I guess you'll have to follow me!

It's your gear. I know they say "you can't take it with you" but we could make an exception if your family agrees.

Just an aside . . .why didn't you help the racoon and also, was it on the surface or at depth?

Hi Chilly,

How do know that I did not help the racoon? It was below the surface (you know, it drowned).

cheers,
m

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom