Drowning, sinking, biting, stupid heroes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InTheDrink

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
So here’s a little ditty from last year. It’s not reall meant for critique altho feel free to do so. It’s more about ego and complacency.

So I was out in Egypt with an operator I won’t mention that I hadn’t dived with before. We were out at Daedalus, a fair way out from the coast (6 hours min). Was day 2 I think.

1. I was with an instructor friend and we had scooters. I’d never dived one before. I also don’t need any weight as I’m just heavy boned and with negative camera, alloy back plate etc I’m overweighted without weight even in a 5mm. So down we went for the hammers. Around 43m or so when my scooter flooded. Was a bit of a swim up on the aborted dive. Thankfully I read the manual afterwards. This scooter when flooded is 18kg negative. Manual suggests ditching it in this event. I didn’t and it was stupid. I didn’t read the manual beforehand and didn’t have training for the scooter (didn’t check whether necessary). Swimming that extra 18kg was tough and I wouldn’t have been able deal with any other problem.

2. After lunch second day one of the crew went free diving. Guide was watching unkittedup on dive deck. I went down as thought probably not great idea having no in water support. Short tale told. After dive 3 to 36m he gets shallow water apnea in a current. Takes 6 of us to get him up the ladder. Heart was stopped. 3 amazing nurses worked him and his heart restarted after a small number of compressions. We were a bit shook after that. So was he.

3. Another dive site with tigers, longimanus and silkies around. I was diving independently with my buddy looking for the tigers at around 55m (silly PPO2). Got back and the other group were separated and one group were screaming as they tried to get on the zodiac. Was fully expecting a missing limb but no, only a bcd and computer were lost while they panicked getting out of the water while the silkies were very aggressively bumping them. These divers had dived with many large sharks but never had come across that behavior before and shat themselves. And lost their kit in their keenness to get on the zodiac.

4. Guide suggested me and my buddy and him try to find the kit that was abandoned when the sharks were getting a little too frisky. I agree but wanted to know the plan, depth etc. Was agreed that 45m would be max depth that part of reef. I had a 12L and a 6L slung. Others were on single tanks. Found kit after a few minutes, at 69 meters. I stopped at 61 as was on nitrox and PPO2 was 2.0+. Recovered kit, did deco for 45 mins with the silkies and hang tanks as some were low on air and got on board to a heros welcome from the guests.

Goes to show that such abject stupidity can be admired. Was a great trip but so much stupid risk taking just wouldn’t dream of doing it again. Ego. Complacency. Stupidity.

So that’s it. We got lucky in all instances. Anyone one or them could have had serious consequences.

Dont get complacent and don’t be a hero for $2,000. Oh yeah, and RTFM

Thanks,
John

Last edited:
It seems the point of a post like this is not for everyone to cast stones and claim they would never make (or have never made?) such poor decisions themselves. In fact, quite the opposite.

The OP, in retrospect, is admitting to the poor decisions. Everyone seems to agree (and he even started his post with it) that ego and complacency took over.

So why post? Because it can happen to any of us. It's easy to claim we wouldn't make the kind of decisions he made in this story, but... hard to know for sure exactly how we'll react to a unique set of circumstances, or to a specific challenge, on any particular day.

It seems the point of the post is to serve as a cautionary tale: if you find yourself in a similar situation, maybe you'll remember this thread and how everyone agreed that the OP's decisions weren't the best. And maybe that'll be just enough to keep you from harm.

So to the OP, on behalf of everyone that reads your post: thank you.

Sounds like a fun time, the only thing missing was alcohol.

Every dive is a series of decisions, sometimes they sound better in the moment than after the fact. It's whether you have the presence of mind to change your plan, and have maintained the resourses to save yourself, when the dive goes sideways.

Bob

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom