Dry Air problem?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rpayne

Registered
Reaction score
I really apprecaite all the help I've gotten from this community and yet again another quest. I got a new one and wanted your advice. I just started my open water. After a class it takes me about a day and a half to start feeling normal again. I know some of it is expected since I'm using muscles in a new way. I expect to have sinus drainage... and even have some I have to cough up due to that drainage. But here is the problem that really troubles me. My lungs feel funny after a dive. Kind of sore and aggravated. Now normally I wouldn't worry about except I have asthma and I've had a PFT? test with exercise and my doc said that my lungs get better as I exercise instead of worse. What I worry about is if this irritation might actually cause a problem underwater, or is there anything I can actually do about it. Or should I just forget about diving all together? I like diving, but I like living more, and I also don't care to feel the way I do after a dive.

Thanks for the help in advance
Rob

rpayne:
I really apprecaite all the help I've gotten from this community and yet again another quest. I got a new one and wanted your advice. I just started my open water. After a class it takes me about a day and a half to start feeling normal again. I know some of it is expected since I'm using muscles in a new way. I expect to have sinus drainage... and even have some I have to cough up due to that drainage. But here is the problem that really troubles me. My lungs feel funny after a dive. Kind of sore and aggravated. Now normally I wouldn't worry about except I have asthma and I've had a PFT? test with exercise and my doc said that my lungs get better as I exercise instead of worse. What I worry about is if this irritation might actually cause a problem underwater, or is there anything I can actually do about it. Or should I just forget about diving all together? I like diving, but I like living more, and I also don't care to feel the way I do after a dive.

Thanks for the help in advance
Rob

Welcome to diving. I suggest you consult DAN (Divers Alert Network) for any discussion regarding your condition. Here's the link for asthma:

http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/medical/articles/article.asp?articleid=22

Good luck and hope you can continue diving.

I can get that after I bike real hard. Its dehydration. Please understand that any condition that you are having should be reviewed with a medical professional, but try this. Before your next dive drink a glass of water every hour the day before. Before the dive down a bottle of Pedialite.

Tell us if you notice a difference.

BIGSAGE136:
I can get that after I bike real hard. Its dehydration. Please understand that any condition that you are having should be reviewed with a medical professional, but try this. Before your next dive drink a glass of water every hour the day before. Before the dive down a bottle of Pedialite.

Tell us if you notice a difference.

Rob: as Sage said staying hydrated is important it will help with sinus problems and, of course, it keeps the lungs moist and more efficent. You may want to consider our bio-filter www.diveapollo.com we have had many comments from divers using the bio-filter that have noticed a marked improvement regarding sinus problems and dry throat and mouth. I got quite a lecture one day from a Stanford Doctor after he returned from a 10 day live aboard trip and had used the bio-filter for the first time. He talked to me about the drying of lining of the lungs etc. In any event following Rob's advice is a good idea and contacting DAN, as previously mentioned, is also a wise move. Best wishes for lots of safe diving.

from what you are saying ya it does sound like dehydration and that you just need to drink more but you should check with a medical professional becuase of the fact that you do have asthma.

I can relate to the dry lung feeling. I have asthma as well and I have experienced the same thing. The thing with air in your cylinder is that it is dry. That in turn drys out your lungs. (Medical people have the same issue with Oxygen with patients who are on oxygen therapy for a long time. Have you ever seen little bottles of water bubbling on oxygen connections?) Anyway, if there was moisture in you tank, it would harbor mold growth, amongst other things it would do to your tank.
Hydration is probably the most important thing that you can do. Just like any other exercise. As for your asthma, I found my best ally was my doctor. I told her I SCUBA dive and it helped her with my treatment. It's great to read articles and get more educated, but working with your doctor will give you the optimum care in your asthma and it will help to improve your overall diving experience.
Hope this helps!

I'm not a doctor and I don't stay at Holiday Inns, so anything I say is obviously suspect... :wink:

That said, even if you did well on your pulmonary function test, asthmatics have sensitive lungs and the dry tank air can be difficult to tolerate. This might be one cause of your discomfort. As has been mentioned, DAN is an excellent source for information about hyperbaric medicine. Read this for more information about diving with asthma.

Second, many new divers breathe too hard. Work on relaxing and taking long, slow breaths without over-expanding your chest. Remember - diving is the lazy man's extreme sport, so take it easy.

Of course, general hydration can also be an issue. Drink plenty of fluids and then drink some more. If you can go for more than a couple of hours without needing to pee, you're too dry.

reefraff:
I'm not a doctor and I don't stay at Holiday Inns, so anything I say is obviously suspect... :wink:

That said, even if you did well on your pulmonary function test, asthmatics have sensitive lungs and the dry tank air can be difficult to tolerate. This might be one cause of your discomfort. As has been mentioned, DAN is an excellent source for information about hyperbaric medicine. Read this for more information about diving with asthma.

Second, many new divers breathe too hard. Work on relaxing and taking long, slow breaths without over-expanding your chest. Remember - diving is the lazy man's extreme sport, so take it easy.

Of course, general hydration can also be an issue. Drink plenty of fluids and then drink some more. If you can go for more than a couple of hours without needing to pee, you're too dry.

Thanks for all the great advice, first off I guess I should have pre-included in my first post that I did call DAN. They told me I could be correct in that it could be the dry air, the extra excursion from breathing air underwater, and dehydration. The only advice they have me was somewhat similar to everyone's here go see a doctor. So I have made an appointment with my doctor (a new one my old one just retired). Unfortunately I don't have anyone in the city that's real familiar with dive medicine. I do understand the risks involved with diving with asthma, which is why I've been asking this question. I'm going to have to ask my LDS if they got any of those bio-filters that I can try out. That might be the solution for me. Who knows. Just trying to get all the possible information I can so I can make a solid decision on weather to continue or to stop with diving.

Rob

You cant stop. You're hooked and dont know it.

rpayne:
Thanks for all the great advice, first off I guess I should have pre-included in my first post that I did call DAN. They told me I could be correct in that it could be the dry air, the extra excursion from breathing air underwater, and dehydration. The only advice they have me was somewhat similar to everyone's here go see a doctor. So I have made an appointment with my doctor (a new one my old one just retired). Unfortunately I don't have anyone in the city that's real familiar with dive medicine. I do understand the risks involved with diving with asthma, which is why I've been asking this question. I'm going to have to ask my LDS if they got any of those bio-filters that I can try out. That might be the solution for me. Who knows. Just trying to get all the possible information I can so I can make a solid decision on weather to continue or to stop with diving.

Rob

You may also want to check out scuba-doc.com. Dr. Campbell has a ton of great info there and will answer questions...I e-mailed him a question after spinal surgery and he actually telephoned me! Great guy!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom