dry box I can dive with??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Becca65

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
so just purchased a couple PLB's for our trip to Florida - they are waterproof - but not depth proof - thought we'll just get a box to put them in while we dive - proving to be harder than expected finding a box that they will fit in but that isn't super big overall. Inside dimensions must be at least 3" x 2.25" x 1.5" - anyone have any suggestions?

thanks!

I have one of these... works great.

Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK.

I doubt you will find a suitable "box"... the shape is not good for waterproof. I looked at an Aluminum canister as well, but I could see thread corrosion being a problem.

Yeah I figured it out but thanks man sometimes on here I feel like I'm texting my kids lol.

mcmurdo sells one: McMurdo Dive Canister - Star Marine Depot

I've got one of these: Diver Locator Satellite PLB Canister from HDVSEATEK.

I've seen at least one or two people post on SB that they store their PLB in an old film based camera housing for depth protection.

The PLB canister from Custom Divers, also the subject of some discussions on Scubaboard, is another option: Water proof PLB Canisters, Belt or Harness Mounted Canisters

I have also read on Scubaboard of people having Light Monkey custom-make them a PLB case along the lines of their canister lights. Basically just the canister with a lid not having a hole for the cord fitting. From what I recall, the cost was reasonable.

I use the McMurdo when I dive with my PLB, and I have also used it to store a phone, keys, etc., where it wouldn't have been safe to keep them in my car (yeah, Bonaire). Made out of machined aluminum, it's pricey, but ought to stand up to hard use forever.

So, I'm a bug proponent of the idea that to give yourself the best chance of rescue when lost at sea, you really want to have multiple signalling devices. While PLB's are perhaps the most important, they can fail, become damaged, etc. A "last mile" solution such as a signalling mirror, dye packet, chemical light stick, etc. are all things that will maximize your chances of rescue once SAR is in the vicinity of your PLB ping.

With that in mind, I think the absolute best way of storing a PLB for diving is to use a canister right can with a blanking cap. The extra space above and beyond what it takes to store the PLB can be utilized to effectively store this other aids so that they are readily available. At night, buzz-sawing a chemlight is like a nuclear explosion to a set of NVG's. A dye slick gives a rescue chopper a far bigger target. Things like that when carried in a canister may be the difference between being rescued and being lost at sea

Light Monkey offers cans, or a more economical solution is to buy and old non-functional can light to scrounge the canister. You can easily blank the cap penetrations with common hardware, and some silicone.

They are also designed for depth and attachment. Personally I rig mine so that I can remove it from my belt and still maintain control of it with the use of a simple deco bottle leash.

Being equal or less expensive than dedicated solutions, they offer a much better value in terms of usability.

.... At night, buzz-sawing a chemlight is like a nuclear explosion to a set of NVG's......
This is great advice and so true. On a drift night dive last year, a diver had a short string attached to his chem light and spinning it above his head. It looked like a 6 foot wide spot light it was so big.

In addition to a VHF radio, I also have a green laser that I can shine 5 miles into some old grumpy beach front condo owner's window, who I'm sure will instantly call the police on me (which I'll thank them for later)

I use Pelican cases on my motorcycle and they are 100% waterproof....the ad fills them with rocks and tosses them in a pool!

I've seen them sold in various sizes all the way down to cigarette box size....try Amazon for them.

Back
Top Bottom