dry box I can dive with??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A PLB is a Personal Locator Beacon
something like this
Nautilus LifeLine Marine Rescue GPS Radio

PLB and the LifeLine are two different things. The LifeLine (and the original Nautilus) work by sending a line of sight radio signal that a rescue craft has to be listening for. A PLB works by sending a coded message on 406 MHz that is relayed via the Cospas-Sarsat global satellite system which then activates the local emergency search and rescue system (e.g. Coast Guard in the USA). If you are so remote that there is no local emergency rescue system, your signal can still be received by a designated station and help can be coordinated if possible.

They are different systems, and as JohnnyC pointed out, it's important to have a range of signaling equipment for different situations. Sometimes something as simple as a mirror can help if you can see the boat but they can't see you.

I carry one of these PLBs in one of these.

I use Pelican cases on my motorcycle and they are 100% waterproof....the ad fills them with rocks and tosses them in a pool!

I've seen them sold in various sizes all the way down to cigarette box size....try Amazon for them.
I use Pelican cases on my motorcycle and they are 100% waterproof....the ad fills them with rocks and tosses them in a pool!

Waterproof does not mean that you can take them to 100 fsw and not have them crush or leak. I use them on the boat to keep stuff try. Are they depth rated and if so to what depth?

I’m in the midst of trying the same thing. Rather than going with a rigid container, I’m going with a waterproof cell phone dive bag. I figure if it’ll keep a cell phone functional to 100’, it should work on the PLB. And the PLB at least is water resistant, so even if it leaks a little I should be OK.

But I have t gotten my PLB yet — there seems to be an issue with McMurdo... so I don’t know how it works yet...

I’m in the midst of trying the same thing. Rather than going with a rigid container, I’m going with a waterproof cell phone dive bag. I figure if it’ll keep a cell phone functional to 100’, it should work on the PLB. And the PLB at least is water resistant, so even if it leaks a little I should be OK.

But I have t gotten my PLB yet — there seems to be an issue with McMurdo... so I don’t know how it works yet...
Are there buttons that can be pressed by the pressure on the flexible bag?

In writing a review for the new DryFob XL, I stumbled back upon this post. I want to update it: this was a bad idea. Don't use a cell phone pouch! The button *is* behind a cover, but it still got pushed. My review has a few more details on what happened: Review of DryFob XL: Affordable Canister for PLB . The DryFob XL is certainly one alternative to consider, but whatever choice you make, I suggest *against* using a soft container -- unless you want the Coast Guard circling your dive boat with a helicopter after a dive... (Not what happened to me -- but *very* close to what happened to me.)

Back
Top Bottom