dry glove liner placement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grey Goose

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Assuming your dry gloves don't leak, do you (a) use the plastic tubes to equalize, (b) put the liners underneath your seals (e.g., don your liners, then your suit, followed by gloves), or (c) use liners (over the seals) and don't bother with the tubes?

If gloves leak, would option a (tubes) and option b (liner underneath seals) result in an equally wet suit or would the tubes result in noticeably less water entering suit?

Thanks!
P.S. Just got dry gloves system installed (Antares oval si-tec system), but have yet to dive suit. Si-tec manual suggests user trim outer glove so lower than latch and use tubes.

I removed my wrist seals and just use a Diving Concepts ring system. I also have a DUI suit with Zip seal gloves (no wrist seals) that I leave on the suit permanently. Obviously I wouldn't do that if they leaked, but I haven't had that problem for several hundred dives.

Actually any of your posted solutions work. I went from putting on my liners first and having the cuffs under the seals originally but didn't like gearing up with them on. I then went to tubes, actually stir stick work really well as they are flat and I found them pretty comfortable. However I tended to lose them, I'd be gearing up and realize I was missing one or both (eventually spares run out!). Finally I've settled on the thumb ring on the sleeve of my drysuit undies. Loop it around my thumb to get into my suit, then unloop from my thumb but leave it sticking out of the cuff. Gives decent air flow and in the event of a leak its more of a weeping than a flood.
Hope that helps!

I've had gloves leak and had the suit flood because of it. For that reason, I use dry gloves WITHOUT tubes -- I have ropy enough tendons to allow the gloves to equalize most of the time, and on the rare occasion where I end up with Michelin man hands, the Viking rings I use won't pop off.

I think divers take hypothermia too lightly. I have been hypothermic twice, and it wasn't fun and it wasn't safe. ANY system that removed the wrist seal is, to me, risky, if the water is cold enough that hypothermia would be a real risk before you could get back to the boat or shore. High end undergarments reduce the risk but do not negate it.

I've been just using the thumb loops from my undergarment. They're already under the seals, and I can't leave them at home. Air transfer is slow, which is good IMO. I haven't experienced a full-on flooded glove to know eactly what would happen in that situation.

i use. a pair of small socks with the tips cut off and a hole for my thumbs
that way my liners don't get wet gearing up,my fingers are usable,and my skin isn't against my seals.
makes it easier to get my wrists through the seal also.
i know some will pooh-pooh it,but when the water is in the 30*s ,i use toe warmers on my palms between the sock and the liner.
years doing this along with others and no problems ever
my 2 pennys
have fun
yaeg

I have used Si-tech dry glove system with both tube and thumb lube. Both work well for venting the gloves. However, the suit will get quite flood if gloves leak. The whole arm portion is filled with water. For my, if leak happened, it always came from the ring attachment. I have also tried without method without tube. I found my hand got squeezed pretty tight at depth. After a while, I am back to wet gloves until I find a better dry gloves solution

My undersuit has flat fabric loops that run around my thumbs. They are thick enough to equalize the gloves. No tubes needed. Air, you know, enters quite tight spaces. Sometimes I pull the sleeves of my shirt under the wrist seal. If the glove leaks, I will keep my hand down. An upside down cup does not flood. Rarely have I experienced a wet arm.

I use my thumb loops barely exposed. So far I have twice been able to retract them, leaving me with a wet hand, but a dry undergarment. My preferred method by far :)

Back
Top Bottom