Dry glove recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have the SiTech QCP dry gloves. Love them. Yes, they are a bit bulky, but I stay dry, as long as I lock them on correctly. The one time I got wet was user error, which also happened to be the second time I ever used them.

but can you tell before you enter water, that you made an user error? This is the issue I have with dive concept and sitech oval, they look all lock in until I feel water coming in at 15ft.

I can, they have to be locked on straight, not crooked. You can tell. Have someone check them if needed.

One more vote for the pullover glove system from DRIS. I have the non permanent rings installed to my Zipseals and have been totally dry for the ~25 dives I've used them on - nothing to click, snap or align into place; just yank and dive. There are 2 raised rings on the wrist ring which you can easily see after you pull them on which gives you a good indication that you have them on right. Technically, you only need to pull them over one of those 2 rings but I've always done both. I usually ask a buddy to help me put them on but have also done it on my own.

While gearing up to dive, they are the last thing I put on - it's super nice to be able to fully gear up with bare hands. Having said that, I have no issues doing everything I need to do underwater with them on (valve drills, S drills, basic 5, etc). The rings themselves look big and bulky but have never gotten in my way.

The other good thing is that it keeps the seal, unlike the ZipGloves. If you decide you don't need drygloves on a dive, you don't need to swap anything out - just dive them as is with no gloves or neoprene gloves.

I've had my Kubi setup for over a year. My hands have only ever gotten wet once and that was one hand, after the rubber glove finally got a hole in it, after using it for almost a year.

Machined aluminum rings that can be purchased in the smallest size that will fit your hand, for maximum streamlining. I believe they have 70, 80, 90, and 100mm rings.

Round, so no worries of having to line anything up.

No plastic clips to break. One ring presses into another, with just an O-ring to seal the gap between them. Super simple.

Easy to don last, after I'm otherwise all geared up, and without any help to get the glove rings seated into the sleeve rings properly. Also easy to remove by myself after a dive. Nothing to unscrew or twist. No clips to get loose. A little silicone grease on the mating O-ring every now and then definitely helps with the donning and doffing.

The only parts I would ever possibly need to replace are the O-rings.

The non-permanent rings add onto stock latex wrist seals and the wrist seals still seal, so a holed glove does not result in a wet arm - just a wet hand. And you can leave the rings on and still dive without dry gloves.

The permanent rings allow you to use latex or silicone wrist seals and you can use the dry gloves with or without a wrist seal installed.

The actual gloves that came with the rings lasted a year and cost $2 per pair to replace. With the permanent rings, replacement latex or silicone wrist seals are also cheap. Si Tech SilFlex wrist seals are <$20/pair from Seaskin.co.uk.

The rings also come with some pretty nice/warm glove liners. I don't know for sure what they are, but they feel like they could be wool. I've never actually used them, though. I bought the Pinnacle Merino Wool glove liners at the same time as the rings. They are a little thinner, so that is what I've been using.

The Kubi system itself is not cheap, but when I see my friends shopping for replacement Zipseals or complaining about the dry glove system on their Waterproof suit or whatever, I feel like the Kubi setup was totally worth it.

you still need to some how break the seal for equalization, right? On both sitech and dive concept system, the seals are supposed to be preserved. Then we use a tube for equalization. Once the gloves are compromised, water will come in from the tube. It is not caterstrophic like zip gloves, but the dive is pretty uncomfortable from that point on. I guess one big advantage of this pull up gloves are the low cost. I can afford to try it out without losing much.

you still need to some how break the seal for equalization, right? On both sitech and dive concept system, the seals are supposed to be preserved. Then we use a tube for equalization. Once the gloves are compromised, water will come in from the tube. It is not caterstrophic like zip gloves, but the dive is pretty uncomfortable from that point on. I guess one big advantage of this pull up gloves are the low cost. I can afford to try it out without losing much.

Yes. Usually, I just put on my Xerotherm wrist warmers before I don the top of my suit. That results in them being under the wrist seal, which allows the gloves to equalize. So, yes, they would wick water into my sleeve if I cut a glove.

Or, I tied a loop of thin bungee for each hand. I'll put the loop around my middle finger and let it run down the back of my hand to my forearm. Then I don the top of my suit. The bungee cord is then caught under the seal and, again, allows the glove to equalize. That is for if I'm not wearing the wrist warmers. With those, if I cut or holed a glove, it would be pretty easy to pull the bungee out so the wrist seal could fully seal. And, actually, I think I'm going to start using the bungee cord all the time, and wearing the wrist warmers on the outside of the wrist seal. They make the wrist seal extra tight when they are under the seal.

you still need to some how break the seal for equalization, right?
Yes, you should but I have never done this. I don't go deeper than 90-100ft and the squeeze at that depth has been easily manageable without the equalization. This was with very thin wool liners (also from DRIS) and would be even better with slightly thicker gloves that I'm thinking of moving to. If you go deeper, then I would go for the tubing or something. By the time I want to go deeper, I'll probably have enough dives and that much more confidence in the pullover system to not worry about it (assuming they work for me the same way they have so far).

I guess one big advantage of this pull up gloves are the low cost. I can afford to try it out without losing much.
This was my main reason for getting them. I had never used dry gloves and wanted to try them out - for ~$100 I got a system that was an easy drop-in and can also be easily removed, if needed. Honestly, I wanted the Kubi rings but didn't want to spend $300 on something I wasn't sure I would continue using.

No way in the world I could get my mitts through the oval SiTech rings. . .

I'm using the X5 "Dry Five" semi-dry gloves and they keep my digits nice and warm (and I have better dexterity than when I was using SiTech round rings and Altas/Showa (papa Smurf blue) gloves

I'm using the X5 "Dry Five" semi-dry gloves and they keep my digits nice and warm (and I have better dexterity than when I was using SiTech round rings and Altas/Showa (papa Smurf blue) gloves

How are these used? What does "semi-dry" mean in this context? I'm following this thread, trying to understand the different options for gloves with a drysuit. So far, I have only used ordinary (wet) gloves, and I am finding they are insufficient. But the idea of rings and such contraptions for the rare dives I plan to do in cold water seems excessive and expensive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom