Dry glove recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you are only diving in cold water only rarely then you may want to avoid the hassle of dry glove rings. Semi dry are just that, they are conventional gloves that provide a better seal at the wrist which minimizes the water exchange in the glove but they still act like wet gloves. For cold water below say 35 degrees nothing beats dry gloves except heated gloves.

Last edited:
So far, I have only used ordinary (wet) gloves, and I am finding they are insufficient. But the idea of rings and such contraptions for the rare dives I plan to do in cold water seems excessive and expensive.
In your case, I would try out the dry gloves that have the wrist seals built in. I tried them before I got the rings - didn't particularly like them for weekly use as it was kinda fiddly to get on and off and I was concerned the seal wouldn't last as long due to that.

I do the same thing as Stuart - FE wrist warmers for equalization. Or just leave your undies thumb loop sticking through seal. Much less fiddly than the plastic straw and nothing small to get lost.

How are these used? What does "semi-dry" mean in this context? I'm following this thread, trying to understand the different options for gloves with a drysuit. So far, I have only used ordinary (wet) gloves, and I am finding they are insufficient. But the idea of rings and such contraptions for the rare dives I plan to do in cold water seems excessive and expensive.
The gloves are called "Dry Five's", technically a semi-dry just like a wetsuit. There is an outer and inner lining that restricts the flow of water in/out of the glove. I've used them down to 46 oF without problem and like the dexterity they give me.

The gloves can be a bit of a PITA to get on, a little baby shampoo on your hands before donning does the trick for me

How are these used? What does "semi-dry" mean in this context? I'm following this thread, trying to understand the different options for gloves with a drysuit. So far, I have only used ordinary (wet) gloves, and I am finding they are insufficient. But the idea of rings and such contraptions for the rare dives I plan to do in cold water seems excessive and expensive.

For that, I would probably just go with these:

Drygloves with Seal - Dive Right in Scuba

and wear some decent wool glove liners underneath.

I dived my local quarry with my drysuit and 3mm wet gloves a few times before I got dry gloves. I HATED the lack of dexterity I had with 3mm gloves. I don't even want to think about 5mm wet gloves. The rubber gloves I use for dry gloves fit my hands, well, like gloves. Like driving gloves. Not like work gloves. They are nice and snug over my thinnish glove liners. Dexterity is only slightly less than with no gloves. Vastly better than with my 3mm wet gloves

For that, I would probably just go with these:

Drygloves with Seal - Dive Right in Scuba

and wear some decent wool glove liners underneath.

I dived my local quarry with my drysuit and 3mm wet gloves a few times before I got dry gloves. I HATED the lack of dexterity I had with 3mm gloves. I don't even want to think about 5mm wet gloves. The rubber gloves I use for dry gloves fit my hands, well, like gloves. Like driving gloves. Not like work gloves. They are nice and snug over my thinnish glove liners. Dexterity is only slightly less than with no gloves. Vastly better than with my 3mm wet gloves

I'm a little late to the conversation, so please excuse me if I overlooked a post that answers this, but are these the kind of dry gloves with which people recommend something like using a drinking straw against one's wrist to equalize the glove with the suit? My drysuit instructor mentioned that, and it sounded like a real kluge to me--a leak waiting to happen. But then again, if my intention is to do cold dives (say 45F) only rarely, maybe this kluge is the best option.

are these the kind of dry gloves with which people recommend something like using a drinking straw against one's wrist to equalize the glove with the suit?
Not just these gloves but you would need to create the channel with any dry gloves which keep the wrist seal intact. AIUI, this is basically everything other than ZipGloves.

Okay, I'm totally confused about dry gloves. I'll go do some reading before I divert this thread any more. Thanks.

I've never done anything for equalization and I have the pull over latex gloves with an intact wrist seal. I turn the gloves inside out because the white inside has better grip and also more visible in murky water :coffee:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom