Dry glove system for Santi smart seals

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi
ich bin Markus aus Deutschland. Ich habe einen Santi Emotion plus Trockenanzug mit Smart Seals. Ich möchte ein Kubi Dry Glove System installieren, aber ich weiß nicht wie. Ein Kerl auf dieser Plattform (Chubadooman) hat es bereits getan. Er hat auch Bilder, wie man das Kubi System an den Smart Seals installiert. Ich habe ihn auf dieser Plattform geschrieben, aber ich habe keine Antwort bekommen. Ich bin sehr frustriert. Kannst du mir bitte helfen? Haben Sie eine Email Adresse von "chubadooman" Mit freundlichen
Grüßen aus Deutschland
Markus

I only have a couple of dives with this setup so i am not sure how effective it is in the super long run, but it seems like it would hold up. Im sure there are more efficient dry glove systems if you're willing to sacrifice the santi smart seals. I didn't want to send my suit to a shop or back to santi to replace the wrist seals for a specific dry glove system, so this method works for me. I would recommend it if you dont mind the slight awkwardness of installing at first.
Hi Chubadoodman,
It's been a few months since you've shared your experience mixing Kubi dry gloves and Santi Smart Seals, would you be able to share your thoughts on how this combination performs? Any durability isses identified?
I've watched a video on youtube showing how to mount the Kubis on a regular latex wrist seal, and i can't imagine why it would be different when the latex seal comes out lof a Santi Smart seal.

Would be great to hear from you :)

Cheers
Nicolas

Hello All, just got a chance to meet a sales director from Santi visiting seattle and he told me that Santi is planning to release dry glove system for smart seals by September 2017.
Awesome man!! Would you still recommend doing this? I am just about to order that suit and was thinking about doing the same, and get a pair of KUBI's.

Hello All, just got a chance to meet a sales director from Santi visiting seattle and he told me that Santi is planning to release dry glove system for smart seals by September 2017.

Hi! Did you end up trying this kubi/smart seals combination? Looks like Santi didn't release their own dry gloves for smart seals eventually.

Smart seals + Kubi isn't redundant? Yes you can switch the seals yourself when they get worn, but you still have the latex in the smart seal part.

Anyway the good of the Kubi is: if the glove leaks or get damaged, you pull the wrist up to disengage your under-glove and you won't flood your suit because it get sealed; with the smartseals if the glove leaks you get flooded because the attachment is fully open.

Smart seals + Kubi isn't redundant? Yes you can switch the seals yourself when they get worn, but you still have the latex in the smart seal part.

Anyway the good of the Kubi is: if the glove leaks or get damaged, you pull the wrist up to disengage your under-glove and you won't flood your suit because it get sealed; with the smartseals if the glove leaks you get flooded because the attachment is fully open.
Exactly, and that's why i don't want to mount a dry glove directly on the smart seals (as replacement to latex/silicon seal).
To me they aren't redundant (if i got it right, this is all new to me):
-smart seals allow easy change of wrist seal, and allows using any wet glove.
-kubi allows mounting a dry glove while keeping the benefit that if the glove gets a hole it's only your hand getting flooded, not whole suit.

In principle i don't see why it wouldn't work: the kubi system shouldn't care whether the wrist seal to which it's getting attached is itself glued to the suit's arm, or attached to the suit arm thanks to a smart seal.

The only concern i can imagine is that between the 2 ring systems the wrist seal could get "sucked" by pressure underwater and end up being torn. But that's just imagination, i'd like real field feedback.

On my personal usage, wet gloves should be fine in most of my dives (not that cold), however i have stringent tendons and that means whichever the wrist seal i'll get some water on the arms whenever i close my fistW
I see dry gloves as the only chance for me to be really dry :) (conclusion reached after 6 years of drysuit diving)

I don't mean it doesn't work.. but you gonna have multiple rings on your wrist, to have the only benefit of changing the seal yourself in the eventuality it get damaged or if it will worn out... when? In the next 3 years? And what about the seal on the neck? And the boots? ...I mean in the time those gets worn, you may decide to do a maintenance to the whole suit. My personal opinion.

I don't mean it doesn't work.. but you gonna have multiple rings on your wrist, to have the only benefit of changing the seal yourself in the eventuality it get damaged or if it will worn out... when? In the next 3 years? And what about the seal on the neck? And the boots? ...I mean in the time those gets worn, you may decide to do a maintenance to the whole suit. My personal opinion.
Agreed, the bulkiness of the whole thing might be a problem.
Your view is very valid, but my priority is to have a diving configuration which avoids issues which will stop the next dive from happening until fixed.
A pinhole in the boot is ok, i've dived with small leaks and that's ok i just adapt the dive profile when i find out, still i am not on the spot cancelling a dive.
Neck and wrist latex/silicon seals are different in the sense that if they fail, the suit would massively flood and dive has to be aborted. That's why i need a system to replace these on the spot: for wrist Santi Smart seals do the job, and for neck i need a silicon self-changeable system like Sitech's. Or back to neoprene seal which doesn't fail massively at once, it wears out and you can plan your servicing accordingly.

Yes but the Kubi already does the job even without the smartseals: if the glove fail, you can change the glove (it's $6); if it fails underwater you can go wet, move the whistle and use the seal; if the seal fail internally you don't care because you can use the glove.
The only thing that could stop you is if the seal get damaged above the ring, but even in that case, you can move the rig a little up next to the trilaminate and you'll save the day... anyway it's an eventuality that could happen to the smart seals as well.
However you already have the smart seals as I understand... so why we're discussing this at all? :D ...it could make sense if you were deciding what to buy! :)

Pullover Rubber Gloves for Dry Glove System. Been wearing these for a short season. Like them.

Back
Top Bottom